ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Straight lines

Straight lines

How do I draw perfectly straight lines?

Use a ruler.

Sorry I couldn't resist....

Seriously, pull out a ruler stencil from the stencil tab on the bottom, they move every which way, sometimes it feels cumbersome but you get used to it. I use them a lot.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Dear Screhder, yes, just as SuziQ said, practice with the ruler, and you can put two side by side and make the straight line between them

Sorry, I hope I didn't come off as too "flip" If you find my last 2 cars post in the gallry. I used 4 at a time with the roller on the green car...... Good luck, it's really easier than it sounds.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

For further information, take a look at 'All about Stencils and Rulers' available in the ArtRage Manual which can be accessed from the ArtRage Help menu. The ruler can be stretched, rotated and moved around to allow you to place straight lines where you want them. Multiple rulers can also be used at the same time.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

right click on the ruler. Select guide mode. It will display as blue, instead of white. Now, your pencil line will hug the ruler edge...voila, straight lines.

You can also pin one end of the ruler, then swivel the other end to create diminishing lines of perspective, very handy!

Dear Jim, Thank you, did not know that

Something else to note about using the "Guide Mode" option for the ruler/stencils is that the edge will not be masked off like it would using the "Stencil Mode" or "Ruler Mode" (see image below, where the blue ruler is the "guide" ruler).

Having just went into ArtRage to put together the following image I noticed that the "Ruler Mode" allows for the same edge hugging as the "Guide Mode", with the only real change being the masking of the lines edge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rulerMode.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	25608  
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.