Thread: Palette support for printing

Gallery
    View images

Palette support for printing

I *love* ArtRage, but I've hit a brick wall: I'm creating artwork for print.

The palette tools do not scale with increasing pixels per inch. So if I want to print an image at 300 ppi, I'm required to work with dramatically reduced brush sizes, nozzle sizes, marker sizes, etc. The palette tools seem to operate with fixed pixel dimensions. If the printed image size doesn't change, the palette tool sizes shouldn't either, though I realize that there are performance implications.

(Just to head of some confusion, PPI is strictly used for printing. It says how many pixels to compress into an inch. Computers render to the screen at one pixel of image per pixel of screen, subject to scaling imposed by the rendering application. So setting PPI should affect rendering for purposes of print.)

Also, it would be more convenient for the palette preview to reflect the zoom level of the image. Before I realized that the palette was not scaling with PPI, I thought something was broken because the palette showed one size brush, while it drew in another. The problem was that I was zoomed in, and the brush reflected the zoom, but the palette preview did not.

I'll take suggestions for workarounds! Thanks!

~joe

Gallery
    View images
    Also, I noticed that the image settings specify "dpi" meaning "dots per inch." This should actually be "ppi" or "pixels per inch."

Dots are what you see when you look through a magnifying glass at a print on paper. They are typically one of four colors, drawn in different sizes. Print dot resolutions have to be higher than the pixel resolutions of the image, because it takes multiple dots to draw one pixel (in proportions according to the color of the pixel). Dots per inch is strictly a function of the printer and can't be set by either the application or the image. It's a hardware specification.

I realize that many people use dpi and ppi interchangeably, but it might be this misunderstanding that causes things like brushes not to scale in size with ppi.

~joe

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry, me again. I'm thinking out loud.

I reduced the ppi to 150 to make the tool sizes what I need, and the fun is all back again. I figure that ArtRage images are so low information that when I go to print at 300 ppi, I should be fine first blowing up the image with an image interpolation program.

But I'd love to see ArtRage take care of this for me -- and I'd love to see the palette preview reflect the current zoom. Thanks!

~joe

Gallery
    View images
    Something which may help: There's a hidden technical feature in ArtRage 2.5 which allows larger tools by clicking on the size preview and entering in a new size up to 500%.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Now Dave THAT is a very useful tip! Thank you!