ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: colour wheels and mixers

Gallery
    View images

colour wheels and mixers

Why can I not find a color mixing tool, or a colour wheel picker? Is it really not implemented?

When working on real canvas, I usually mix all colours, white and one or two minerals possibly excepted, out of a palette from the three primaries alone. Maybe I double that if I need cold and warm in one painting, or a colour clash of some sort, but basically, I try to mix all colours out of a primary palette.

Within each palette, this approach provides harmony between the colours, and makes it easy to mix colours to the desired effect - for example, for shaddows vs highlights.

In ArtRage, I seem unable to find a colour wheel picker, or a tool that allows for off-canvas mixing just like one does with many real paints. The colour pickers provided make it much harder to stay pure. When chosing a subdued colour, I end up in the dark muddy zone with ArtRage.

Am I overlooking something?

Gallery
    View images
    Well, currently ArtRage doesn't have a special panel for mixing colors. I've read a few other posts from people interested in a mixing panel, but I'm not sure what plans they have for future releases of the program. I don't believe you would always get the results you were looking for, in the traditional sense anyhow. The color blending tends to work more towards a computer style of thinking, where if one were to take yellow and start pushing it into blue, one would end up with more of a gray color rather then the expected green. Again, this is something that has been posted by others in the past, but whether future versions of ArtRage will adopt it is unknown at this time.

As for color wheels, you could load a picture of the color wheel of your choice as a reference image and grab the colors directly from it (just hold "alt" and left click over the color you want to use). You can also create your own "color sample panel", which you can bring up by hitting the "s" key on your keyboard. Also, you could add an actual image into the color picker area (the color fan at the bottom right). Please view the attached image for an example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coloroptions.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	21645  
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for your reply. Looks like there's a lot of good stuff here; I will probably find an OK solution among your suggestions.

As far as the mixer is concerned... Something for the wishlist, ey?

Gallery
    View images
    ohmagosh! Dear Someonesane,, thanks for teaching me another terrific thing i did not know about, put a picture in the color fan??? ! ohmagosh!

Dear Someonesane, i give up tried to drag a feferance image to the color fan as i thought that was all there would be to it, but alas and alak that did not work, so , if you please, could you tell me how to put a reverance picture into the color fan?, thank you!

Dear someonesane, well , i fooled around and found that little grey arrow at the bottom of the color fan, that did it,,! thank you again!!!
    Last edited by Lee; 10-25-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Dear someonesane, well , i fooled around and found that little grey arrow at the bottom of the color fan, that did it,,! thank you again!!!
    Hi Lee,

Glad you figured it out okay. I would've been happy to explain, I just had some work to do and didn't see your post until now.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.