ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Natively opening and saving image files

Gallery
    View images

Natively opening and saving image files

Don't know if this has been posted before. I apologize if there has already been a similar request by anyone.

I for one would really like AR to be able to "natively" open and save psd files (and other image formats jpg, png, bmp etc.) i.e. without having to use the "import" and "export" image functions. I know this maybe sounds trivial, but it would speed up the workflow for those of us who use AR in conjuction with other apps.

Regards,

Yvan.

Gallery
    View images
    I donīt understand the problem.

ArtRage saves in its .ptg format. You want it in another format, you export it in what you want and then manipulate the file from there. Itīs a process of seconds.

If youīre talking about going from PhotoShop to ArtRage, I have no idea--but it canīt be much more trouble (more than Adobe products cause just by their nature ).
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    I think he means he wants the options to both open and save any file that ArtRage can open or save within the "Save As" option. For example, if you use Photoshop and select "Save As" you can save the image as a .psd, .jpg, .gif (and numerous other file extensions) right from there. In ArtRage, one has to remember that if one selects "Save As" their only option then would be to save the image as a .ptg (ArtRage file). If one wanted to save as another file type (.psd, .jpg, etc) they'd have to remember to go to "Export as Image".

Personally, I don't really have a problem with how it is. I use a number of different art/design programs and video editing programs. Some follow suit with Photoshop's style, others work like ArtRage does, having you select a "render as" or "export as" option to save as separate file types. I guess I'm used to it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    He has a point, it can be a little annoying - at least with the importing (for me). But this is mostly because I open it and have to wait a while for my computer to catch up, and then importing large files ties up my computer for ages while it goes through it all again.
    But this might be a problem just using the 'open' function as well - the only difference is I have to open ArtRage first, I can't go straight from the thumbnail (I think...?) so it is an extra step,.

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Guys,

Maybe I am a bit selfish here to ask for such a feature to be included. It is as you say perfectly possible to import, export, save as etc. and get to the same result.

Some of us use AR in conjunction with other programs. If you do not, obviously this may not interest you in the least.

Allow me to explain what I had in mind when starting this thread:

Some programs (for instance some 3D programs) use a plugin to "link" to the image editor/painter of your choice (Photoshop, Painter etc). For instance ZBrush has a plugin called ZApplink and even (the free) DAZ Studio has one which (as far as I recall - haven't used it in a while) they refer to as a "3D bridge" or "DAZ Studio Bridge". Using the plugin you are able to switch between the outside program program and the image editor of your choice. The plugin effectively opens up you image editing/painting program from within your outside app. You can then use your image editor/painter to for instance paint textures on 3D objects .

Using this method you can go into Photoshop and paint a tattoo on an character's body, then switch back to the outside app and voila! The texture is applied to the character in real time within your outside app. You can switch back and forth between your painting app and the outside app building up the layers of your texture map. Almost like a 3D paint program.

ZBrush (using ZApplink) saves the images of your model, rendered from different angles. You can assign your favourite image editor in ZBrush to the ZApplink function.
    The rendered image are saved as *psd-files. When you fire up ZApplink within ZBrush, it automatically opens the saved psd images in Photoshop (or other psd compatible program that you may have assigned), allowing you to paint on the saved images at the angle it was saved in.

When you close the image within the image editor after painting, it saves the painted texture (overwrites the original psd file), then automatically switches back to ZB and your texture map is updated in realtime, to include whatever changes you made in Photoshop.

I just love experimenting with AR as a texturing tool!

The problem:
    It is currently not possible to use AR with certain plugins like the ZApplink plugin. You have to use a workaround if you want to. The reason for this is that AR cannot currently "open" psd's (or other image formats for that matter). You have to manually "import" it as an image into AR. For instance, even if you assign AR as the psd compatible image editor of your choice in ZApplink, it does not work as intended. ZApplink just opens a blank canvas in AR. You then have to resort to a workaround which is a bit annoying to say the least. Even then the results are not always what you expect.

I for one would love AR to be able to open a few common image formats. There may be other reasons why AR users may prefer AR to open certain image formats
    directly, as opposed to importing them.

As I said, my request may be a bit selfish. I you do not really use AR in conjunction with other programs, this obviously does not apply and you would not be bothered either way.

Anyhow, I hope my explanation makes sense and did not bore you guys to death.

I do not consider my request as a priority at all. It is merely a suggestion, which if implemented in future updates, would just add to the functionality of an already GREAT program.

Regards,

Yvan.