Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The undertaker

Gallery
    View images

The undertaker

Thsi is a project that's been mulling around my brain over the past few days, and today I finally set pen to the paper (so to speak) and started drawing.

I started with a basic shape of what I wanted and then started to sketch in details. Then I started adding colour with the airbrush, slowly building up shades and details.
    I'm pleased with the progress so far, considering I've only spent an hour with it up till now.

Here's a teaser, buth with and without the sketch overlayed...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gallery
    View images
    A few more details added here, mainly the eyes and lips. I'll have to change the shape of the right eye when I add details there.

Gallery
    View images
    More pleased with the eye shape now, but I'll have to move it closer to the nosebridge to make it look more correct (thinking of perspective here).

I've also cleaned up a few skintones and started to add lines that's not as abrupt as the pencil sketching.

Gallery
    View images
    A little stubble makes him look more authentic and alive...

Gallery
    View images
    Interesting progress! Your last entry shows the character to be very sinister looking (to me, at least).
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you! Seems like I've gotten across the mood I was going for. I'm aiming for one of them really stereotypical undertakers from the wild west area. You know the kind; Gaunt, sourly and creepy, always dressed in a shabby hand-me-down suit, and looking down their nose on anyone as if they are offended by people simply being alive.

I'm still not 100% finished with the right eye, but at least it's a lot more like what I wanted. I also fixed a small discreppancy with the right wing of the nose. It's now more pronounced.

Next up will probably be the hat, followed by a few strands of withered and gray hair.

Gallery
    View images
    First layer of hair down. Don't mind the roots of the hair looking bad, that'll be covered by the hat. I'm not very happy with the eyebrows, though. Combined with the more rounded shadows of the sockets he looks more surprised than sinister. I have to remedy that next.
    Oh, and I'll probably redraw the mouth all over, perhaps even lower it a slight bit. Either that or have fuller lips.

You can't see it here, but I've redrawn the sketch for the hat. My fiance took a look at him and commented that he looked like a creepy magician instead of an undertaker. So now he's getting a stetson. Or a bowler. Or perhaps I should keep the tophat and change the name of the character?
    Any comments on that?

Oh, and if you have any tips or hints concerning this project, please let me know.

Gallery
    View images
    I like the tophat (no offense to your fiancé ), but a bowler might work. If you put on a Stetson, he´s going to become a mean, old, ugly cowboy.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    Got that Charles Manson stare. Crap! let me outta here.

Good stuff, Gor.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    like a character out of Charles Dickens, great job on this in all the many configurations. Looking good.