Thread: ArtRage not responding after entended brush stroke (Vista)

Gallery
    View images

ArtRage not responding after entended brush stroke (Vista)

Whenver I make an extended brush stoke, ArtRage freezes up. The Vista window border appears and says "Not Responding." It stays that way until I lift up the pen, and then everything goes back to normal. I can duplicate the problem repeatedly by just making an extended brush stroke again. This occurs when using my tablet and when just ysing the mouse. It also occurs in both full screen and windowed mode.

System: Vista Premium Home SP1
    2.40 quad core
    4gb ram
    nVidia Gforce 8800
    Registered version of ArtRage 2.5.20
    Intuos3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7-25-2008 3-53-57 PM.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	18720  

Unless otherwise specified, all images I post are released under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Gallery
    View images
    While we've had some reports of a problem similar to this happening after the mouse button / tablet sylus has been lifted (as the Undo system processes and Vista takes this as the application not responding) I don't think we've seen it happening during simple strokes like this previously.

Could I get you to check your Wacom tablet drivers to see if they are the latest version?

If they are, try shutting down all background applications including any listed in your system tray at the bottom right. Something in there may be interfering with the system while it the paint stroke is being calculated.

If that doesn't help, turning off ArtRage's support for Ink Services may, as we have seen situations in the past where Vista's Ink Services can interact badly with the Wacom drivers and cause problems in ArtRage. To do this add a file called 'no_ink.inf' to your ArtRage Resources folder (generally 'Pogram Files/Ambient Design Ltd/ArtRage 2/Resources') and run the application (the file can just be a text file, as long as it has that name). This could help.

If none of that helps, please let me know and we'll see if we can come up with anything else that might be causing it.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    Gallery
    View images
    HI,

I only experience this when I have the settings on the soft palette knife at 100%. If the percentage is lowered just a bit, it goes back to working fine.

You just have to be patient and let it catch up.
    Do we have to accept what life hands us? Or can we say no thank you and ask for a different flavor?

Gallery
    View images
    It appears that AnVir's Task Manager Pro is the culprit. Shutting it down gets rid of the issue, and restarting it brings the issue right back. That's with the newest Wacom drivers, newest version of Task Manager Pro, and with the no_ink.inf file created as directed (should I go ahead and delete no_ink.inf or can I leave it there?)

I've begun to suspect Task Manager Pro for some system stability issues, and a few annoying bugs have appeared with it as well. An earlier attempt to get support from them regarding a bug has been ignored, and now with this issue, I think I might just dump that program for good. I'll email their support about this issue and see if they respond.

C

btw - I never got email notification of replies to this thread. According to my user cp, I am subscribed, so I don't know what's going on there.
    Unless otherwise specified, all images I post are released under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for letting us know! That's useful if we encounter this one in future, definitely! Regarding the no_ink.inf file, you may as well leave it there, and it'll avoid any problems if something changes in Microsoft's Ink Services settings further on down the line.

With thread subscription, I seem to be getting replies without problems here when I subscribe, so it might be worthwhile checking your junkmail folder just in case ( I've seen forum replies get trashed / blocked from users before from time to time ), seeing if you get any emails sent out from other threads you subscribe to, and trying another email address in your user control panel. I hope that's of some help, anyway!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Man... I've been suffering from this problem for ages! It's a real pain in the ass if you're using a dual monitor setup, and set artrage to work with a tablet on display 1 while having display 2 the default tablet monitor. Every time artrage freezes, the cursor and focus jump from your artrage monitor to the default tablet monitor.

But I'm not so certain about the solution. After reading cthorpe's solution, I tried to kill the task manager that comes with Vista. And surprisingly things started to work. But I could swear I've tried that before.