ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Backyard waterfall

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)

Backyard waterfall

Ok all, this one doesn't have alot of detail. I was concentrating more on the waterfall. I NEED HELP!

What do I need to do to make the rocks look layered? And how do I make the water look more transparent, and define the falling motion of the water?

I'm tired of changing, trying and deleting. Thanks everyone in advance.

This started out as an idea for my backyard, and turned into a pain in the bum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterfall.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	17882  
    Do we have to accept what life hands us? Or can we say no thank you and ask for a different flavor?

Hello juliediane!

It is brilliant as idea for your backyard but as a painting it has a little problem with perspective.
    Iím not the professional but I think that position of the camera should be changed because it seems that waterfall doesnít follow the law of gravitation and the fence isnít suitable there.

I agree, i like the idea but i think you need to lower the angle a bit, that might also help you get a better perspective on the water fall and create a more 3d look. Oh and very nice work on the water.

Great idea, but I agree that the perspective seems off a bit.

The pond in front looks like itīs falling sideways. One suggestion before you start changing a lot of stuff (though it might not work): keep the colors of the pond, but try making the brush strokes coming from the falls straight instead of sideways (sort of parallel to the edges of the pond). Hope this is clear.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Yup. The thing that catches my attention first is the perspective also. it being standing water in place it acts like a carpenter's level. So you can't fudge the ground plane. To the right should be more ground as if it's a bird's eye view.

I always look to the subject as the thing you want to change least, therefore the rest of the surrounding area has to match it. It would also change the perspective on your fence to a 3/4 down shot or whatever you have going.

Edit: oh yeah, the bench too.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    Thanks all, I think the headache just got worse. LOL
    Do we have to accept what life hands us? Or can we say no thank you and ask for a different flavor?

The perspective is definitely off, the fence makes us think we are looking across from a somewhat low angle, and the water and pond look as if you are looking down on them, I hate to say it but you are better off starting over than trying to fix this. Also, note that water is very soft, and so are its reflections, give it an object to reflect, and remember keep it soft, your water looks too " rough" shall I say? Keep it up, don't give up!