Thread: Finished, Printed, and displayed ArtRage Artwork

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Phil, I messed around with the light function on a few of my finished AR projects and it appears to be very very subtle. To the point that I wasn't sure if the F5 function was working or not. I wonder if it is because of the style of the majority of my paintings. Most of my work is done with the crayon tool and with paper roughness setting set to 0%. Very flat and all texture effect is "painted" not dependent on the raised (3D) effect of some of the paint in the AR program.

Byron, I tried your experiment on my home HP inkjet and did not notice a huge difference (again that may be just the style of my paintings). I did however, notice that the printed images printed VERY VERY dark (independent of the light setting on or off). What is the deal with that??? So, obviously, since we are looking at an image on an illuminated canvas (the illumination of the monitor) are the actual images going to be darker once printed on a non-illuminated surface? With a photo... well a photo is what it is once downloaded to the computer (from a non-photogragher's stand point at least) but a painting is built from the ground up and I choose my values based on the image that I'm seeing on my monitor. I would paint in lighter values if I knew my images would look this dark on paper. Or... is it a printer issue... Hahaha...This rabbit hole is leading to a can of worms!

Anyway... I ordered a couple prints of "Misty Morning" through Costco (which uses a Canadian company called PNI Digital Media to print larger format prints. I ordered 2 20 X 30" prints on "Lustre" finish paper. Very cheap, $8.99 each with about a $5 shipping and handling fee.

Resolution and size is a whole different issue but I will explain how I handled that. My original painting in AR was painted on 11 X 17" at 200 dpi. I exported a PNG file (photoshop opened it 30 something by 40 something at 72 dpi???). I changed the dpi back to original and the size readjusted. I was lucky, the 11 X 17" multiplied up to 20 X 30 pefectly so very little cropping was needed. FYI, Costco did not accept TIF format but did accept a PNG format. I then downloaded the cropped PNG file to Costco and BAM! Done! I will let everyone know what they look like in a week or so. Sorry about all the info but I hope it helps anyone that may be trying to also figure out this process.
    Last edited by Sketchism71; 08-17-2009 at 07:41 AM.
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle