Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
True… I suppose in the strictest sense of the word "painting".
A dictionary entry might read;
Painting:
1: the action or skill of using coloured pigments, either in a picture or as decoration.
2: an image created through the application of coloured pigments to a substrate.

With digital we are deciding what colour light should be emitted from any given pixel instead of choosing pigments.
So referring to it as "pixeling" might be a more apt name perhaps? But it conveys no meaning.
As with most things people need a point of reference or a handle they are familiar with that requires little or no further explanation. And in this regard the word "painting" serves well enough. After all when hearing the word "painting" no one ever says "what's that then?" we just know.

Though I do quite like the idea of referring to myself as a "pixelist"!
markw, interesting points I like the term pixelist as well. I guess we are "painting" with pixels , and I would not want to sound pretentious by saying a " digital imagist" but I do think eventually there will be a term to refer to digital image creation to separate that skillset from traditional media works, maybe a few more decades from now or maybe when we have flexible screens that take up a wall for a few hundred dollars to show our creations on!. Thanks for sharing your thoughts