Thread: Pressure control curve

Pressure control curve

Hi!
    My suggestion for Artrage is the ability to control how the pen pressure affects the size and other features of the tools. Today, as far as I know, you can only enable or disable pressure.
    Sometimes I want the light pressure on the pen to make already relatively big strokes and grow from there while I apply more pressure. Not always start from minimal size upwards.

Other than that, this software is TOP! Never found a digital media so natural as this one!
    Cheers!

Hell Daniel Aubert and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    With Some tools you can do this when using a pen & tablet already.
    Open a tool’s Settings Panel and in the area containing it’s name, right click and from the pop-up menu choose Set Stylus Properties... A window will open that lets you choose some other properties to add like size by pressure.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Aubert View Post
    Hi!

Sometimes I want the light pressure on the pen to make already relatively big strokes and grow from there while I apply more pressure. Not always start from minimal size upwards.
    I'm not quite sure if you're looking for something more, but just increasing the tool size or the pressure in the tool settings will do this.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    I'm not quite sure if you're looking for something more, but just increasing the tool size or the pressure in the tool settings will do this.
    Ok! I will try it. Sorry for being such a noob.
    Thanks!

Ha, no problem Just wanted to make sure we weren't heading off into the depths of advanced settings before trying the basics.

I tried it but I think the "problem" still remains. The picture attached shows what I mean. In other softwares I am able to choose the minimum pressure to start with a different size. In Artrage it seems that it always grows from the minimum size, even if I change the pressure bar on the tool settings.

Name:  pressure.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  76.9 KB

If this is really how it behaves, that's my suggestion.
    Other than that, this is a great software!

Ah, so you want a fixed size? In that case, yes, the original answer was what you wanted. Go to Stylus Properties and *remove* the size = pressure property.

However, it also depends a bit on the tool, as some of them vary based on other things as well. For example, you can set Felt Pen Softness to 0%, and Ink Pen Pressure to 0% or 100% to remove any size variation. The Paint Roller has none at all.

Which might be easier than jumping in and out of Properties ;D

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Ah, so you want a fixed size? In that case, yes, the original answer was what you wanted. Go to Stylus Properties and *remove* the size = pressure property.

However, it also depends a bit on the tool, as some of them vary based on other things as well. For example, you can set Felt Pen Softness to 0%, and Ink Pen Pressure to 0% or 100% to remove any size variation. The Paint Roller has none at all.

Which might be easier than jumping in and out of Properties ;D

ArtRage newbie here, so please go easy on me. But I think you misunderstand Daniel. He is not asking to remove the 'Size' control from the pressure mapping entirely. Instead he wants to control how the applied stylus pressure is translated into brush size by the software. In his illustration he wants to increase the size from 1px at the lightest pressure, to something larger than 1px.

Normally this is what a pressure curve is mapped to
    Pressure:
    0-----------------10
    Size:
    0-----------------10

But it would be good to change this to something like:
    Pressure:
    0-----------------10
    Size:
    5-----------------10

In some softwares (Like Affinity Photo) this is user controllable by means of a curve on an x/y graph.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AffinityPhoto-PressureCurve.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	94031

As a newcomer to the software, I'm actually surprised (and a bit disappointed) that ArtRage does not have this in its feature set as of version 5.05. Are there plans to include this in the near future?

While on the subject of stylus properties, I also don't like the strict segregation of which tool properties can be mapped to what stylus properties. As in, why do I need a stylus with an 'Airbrush Wheel' to be able to control the 'Thinners' property on the Oil Brush? I don't want to fork out a $100 or so for a new stylus just to be able to do that. Why can't I just assign it to 'Pressure'? Or why am I not allowed to map 'Loading' or 'Aspect' to 'Pressure'? Maybe these questions are better suited for another thread another day, when I feel a bit more familiar and at ease with the software.
    Last edited by Dutch Dimension; 10-29-2017 at 03:54 AM.

technically, you can do this in the wacom driver settings by tweaking your curve like this:

I agree that a "minimum diameter" feature for oil brushes would be nice tho, especially since custom brush tool has this parameter now.

As in, why do I need a stylus with an 'Airbrush Wheel' to be able to control the 'Thinners' property on the Oil Brush?

I don't have an airbrush, but what I believe happens when you map "thinners" or w/e to wheel is that you don't get dynamic range control;
    instead, if you scroll the wheel down, your corresponding value goes down as well; if you scroll up, it goes up. kind of like a mouse wheel.
    you still can tweak those values as you paint with your cursor.

Or why am I not allowed to map 'Loading' or 'Aspect' to 'Pressure'?
    I don't know about loading, but c*rel pаinter has an artists oils system that is stemming off the code supplied by artrage team.
    it does not support loading pressure dynamics (however they somehow figured out opacity and pressure connection, and added mixing between layers; I miss the latter in artrage.)

Pressure-dependent aspect does not honestly makes much sense to me...I barely touch it ever since I made a bunch of custom brush presets with different aspect ratio.

Utilizing the pressure control curve of a Wacom tablet is an option. . . if you are utilizing a Wacom Tablet. Many people use other tablets that may not have that adjustment tool.

The tool described here is something I would be looking for, but on a per brush basis. Some tools in real life I like to use with less pressure range, others I want more, and other still I want a reversed pressure curve. The pressure curve is controlled by the software side of things, this should be a function that can be called from a library and further each time a brush is selected it calls the library and adjusts the curve.