Thread: In Search of Vincent

In Search of Vincent

having a great time with AR5.. I was listening to Don McLean's "Starry Starry Night" such a beautiful
    song and so moving.. It may not seem like it with this style but it is a tribute...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In Search of Vincent.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	528.3 KB 
ID:	92300  

I must confess I'm not getting a heck of a lot of a post-impressionistic, ergot poisoned, lead tainted, angst insistent vibe, but who cares, and Vinnie already said what he had to say apparently. Wasn't much of any of that in the sweet, placid song either, and that's what you were listening to as a springboard. So well done you nailed it. One or the other.

So glad you're still inspired by music.

There was a French woman a a bit over a decade (or two) ago who was the oldest person alive (who had records of birth or whatever). She was like 123 or close to it. Why do I mention her, you ask? Because she actually met Van Gogh in person whilst she was a young lady (I didn't do the math but I think she was a wee bit older than a child). She said she was not at all impressed with him. If he was as big a mess as it sounds like, what young lady would think him someone of interest back then well before his paintings becoming so pricey and respected. Just goes to show that the art and the artist are not necessarily one in the same. It's all about the art and the viewer. And in your case the listener. Very cool.

Last edited by D Akey; 02-20-2017 at 01:08 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

What a lovely song (Never heard before), thanks for bringing it. Beautiful painting too. I also always paint with music cannot even imagine doing without it....

𝄞 Starry Starry Night ♩ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♫ ♬
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/andreamgart

That's what art's about, isn't it -- at some point it's about the relationship between the art and the viewer, sort of like speed dating. (D Akey)

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I must confess I'm not getting a heck of a lot of a post-impressionistic, ergot poisoned, lead tainted, angst insistent vibe, but who cares, and Vinnie already said what he had to say apparently. Wasn't much of any of that in the sweet, placid song either, and that's what you were listening to as a springboard. So well done you nailed it. One or the other.

So glad you're still inspired by music.

There was a French woman a a bit over a decade (or two) ago who was the oldest person alive (who had records of birth or whatever). She was like 123 or close to it. Why do I mention her, you ask? Because she actually met Van Gogh in person whilst she was a young lady (I didn't do the math but I think she was a wee bit older than a child). She said she was not at all impressed with him. If he was as big a mess as it sounds like, what young lady would think him someone of interest back then well before his paintings becoming so pricey and respected. Just goes to show that the art and the artist are not necessarily one in the same. It's all about the art and the viewer. And in your case the listener. Very cool.

Hmmm I imagine Vincent in the flesh was someone you might think of these days as a homeless person, but how amazing that fire and vision within produced such amazing works, which at the time people thought were horrible, except for a very few. The song is sentimental I know but still was very moving and I had to go back and revisit his images online. You still working on your guitar music?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
    What a lovely song (Never heard before), thanks for bringing it. Beautiful painting too. I also always paint with music cannot even imagine doing without it....

𝄞 Starry Starry Night ♩ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♫ ♬
    Thanks AndreaMG I also must have music to paint with... really helps get into that intuitive space for creating

"Starry, starry night", believe it or not, but curiously a song I used to hear when I was a kid. I didn't fully understood it, English and reference, but it had some magic and mystery to me in that melody and words. Only recently I resumed that song and a Youtube thereabout and finally fully apprehended its reference to Vincent Van Gogh.
    As You recognized, here You didn't find Vang Gogh as for style and mood (You're too dissimilar in those aspects, I guess)
    Notheless You certainly shared his same "starry night" vision, although with a fully different interpretation of the image, since You've got a different mind and Your feelings are different, but still You can feel and share Vincent's gentle and unique personality, realize his fraternity as sensible human being and be moved by his unhappy quest and doom.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!