Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Painting Studies

My Painting Studies

Hello there everyone.

I've just discovered Art Rage, and how I wish I've found about it earlier.
    Started doing some painting studies with Art Rage. I've been having lots of fun.
    Haven't had a chance to explore the app in detail yet but I really love it so far.
    Just learning to paint again after a decade of hiatus... Life just got so busy.

Anyways, please feel free to crit any of the work.

Used the grid tool with a reference image, very convenient!
    Painted from photo reference. 1.5 hours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	study03_90m.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	90227

Reference image:

Name:	13442341_10154107952586421_3619667020596008974_n.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	90228
    Last edited by worldInShades; 07-13-2016 at 07:36 PM.

A most promising start in this excercise.
    Welcome!!!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

This is a very good piece, so well done, welcome and hope to see many more

Thanks guys!
    There's a lot of awesome stuff in the forums. I could spend hours going through it all.

This one was pretty tough. Struggled a lot with the values and the subject.
    Still a bit flat and I kind of gave up. Ambient lighting is really hard to work out.
    Used a grid again, it really makes things too easy. I shouldn't rely on this so much, I can see this becoming a bad habit.
    I couldn't really figure out how to add in speckles. No setting was imitating light dry brush dabbing you would with a real brush.

2 hours from photo reference.

Name:	study04_2h.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	90238

Reference photo:
    Name:  study04.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  13.4 KB

some very nice work here! Painting with artrage or any digital software that emulates traditional media sometimes requires a new workflow and thought process to translate what you would do
    with traditional media into how to get that look in artrage. for example to the a stipple look please investigate using the Sticker spray tool and the Art Brushes group, in there you will find some amazing tools. by spraying some Airbrush Spats on a new layer above your main drawing you can add the stipple and erase away any stray dots, and adjust the blend mode to multiply or some other and the opacity of that layer. Just some ideas for you to explore..

Although it doesn't mimic a dry brush completely, you could try this, and tweak as needed, it is very faint:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Haha. Very good exploration of textures and surfaces. All depends on what's important to you as the artist -- what your style is going to be. That will determine how successful these are. Right now, the frog looks good.

If you're rendering the glass vase, which is a really cool but an infinitely challenging model, overall it could do with a little more contrast.

The thing about that kind of surface is that as a model, there is no form or visual sensibility you can work from one end to the other unifying the whole thing. It's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle of a Jackson Pollock painting. It all kind of looks random thus making it hard to grab in a full way and the painter can only go a daub at a time and hope that by the time you get to the other end of the bottle it has a similar feel.

However, if you're not going for realism, it's not a problem. Just choosing that kind of subject infers you're after realism. So that's what I'm talking about. Challenging subjects are super cool if one nails it. Then the "wow factor" works. And this photo was all about the glass and contrasting lighting giving it an organic shaped, translucent faceted patina. So how's the view up there atop Mt Olympus? Quite a climb.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Nice job!

You started out with some challenging objects and did a good job!

Quote Originally Posted by gxhpainter View Post
    some very nice work here! Painting with artrage or any digital software that emulates traditional media sometimes requires a new workflow and thought process to translate what you would do
    with traditional media into how to get that look in artrage. for example to the a stipple look please investigate using the Sticker spray tool and the Art Brushes group, in there you will find some amazing tools. by spraying some Airbrush Spats on a new layer above your main drawing you can add the stipple and erase away any stray dots, and adjust the blend mode to multiply or some other and the opacity of that layer. Just some ideas for you to explore..
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Although it doesn't mimic a dry brush completely, you could try this, and tweak as needed, it is very faint:
    Thank you so much for your suggestions gxhpainter and DarkOwnt!
    I've tried a few ways, I think I still have much to explore but think I'm getting something that I can work with. I've sized up the brush to like 200~300% and using a mouse stamped(single clicked) around the areas on a new layer. Then erasing the areas I don't want. Still much to learn but think I'll get there eventually. Thank you again!

Name:	study04.0006.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	90246
    Last edited by worldInShades; 07-16-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Haha. Very good exploration of textures and surfaces. All depends on what's important to you as the artist -- what your style is going to be. That will determine how successful these are. Right now, the frog looks good.

If you're rendering the glass vase, which is a really cool but an infinitely challenging model, overall it could do with a little more contrast.

The thing about that kind of surface is that as a model, there is no form or visual sensibility you can work from one end to the other unifying the whole thing. It's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle of a Jackson Pollock painting. It all kind of looks random thus making it hard to grab in a full way and the painter can only go a daub at a time and hope that by the time you get to the other end of the bottle it has a similar feel.

However, if you're not going for realism, it's not a problem. Just choosing that kind of subject infers you're after realism. So that's what I'm talking about. Challenging subjects are super cool if one nails it. Then the "wow factor" works. And this photo was all about the glass and contrasting lighting giving it an organic shaped, translucent faceted patina. So how's the view up there atop Mt Olympus? Quite a climb.

Thank you very much for your inputs!! I can see it now, yes, it definitely could use more contrast. I totally get your points. And it will be one hard and rough of a climb. But I'll try to enjoy every moment of it this time around. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Anne View Post
    You started out with some challenging objects and did a good job!
    Thank you Marilyn! Much appreciated.