Thread: DOs - SquareMess Brushes (brushes 6-8 of 8)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hmmm. If I had to make a guess, your oil brush is probably set so that stylus pressure affects size. With that setting, how you lift the stylus has an effect on how the end of the stroke looks. I suspect holding the stylus at an angle changes how you lift it and hence the pressure which translates into the size of the brush and that tilt is not directly being used by the algorithm to change how the end of the stroke looks.

One way to verify this suspicion is to turn OFF stylus pressure control of the size of the brush. This isolates any effect of tilt on the end of each stroke. I'm not on a device right now with ArtRage to test this...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Hmmm. If I had to make a guess, your oil brush is probably set so that stylus pressure affects size. With that setting, how you lift the stylus has an effect on how the end of the stroke looks. I suspect holding the stylus at an angle changes how you lift it and hence the pressure which translates into the size of the brush and that tilt is not directly being used by the algorithm to change how the end of the stroke looks.

One way to verify this suspicion is to turn OFF stylus pressure control of the size of the brush. This isolates any effect of tilt on the end of each stroke. I'm not on a device right now with ArtRage to test this...
    OK HS I've done the test. Seems like my suspicions are correct.

Strokes with Red Hue have Stylus pressure Size OFF, Strokes in Blue have Stylus pressure Size ON
    Dark strokes have stylus at 45 degree tilt, Bright strokes have stylus at 90 degrees to surface (straight up and down)
    Low Saturation strokes were made with low-medium lift off speed, High saturation strokes were made with quick lift off speed (while maintaining same tilt angle)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TiltTest.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	95144

BTW: Thank you very much for engaging in these in-depth discussions of substance. They are far more interesting, useful, stimulating and inspiring than the run of the mill online banter.

I love your work BTW.

Hey DO!

Yes, I enjoy our side show too! No one is reading these posts so why not solve all the problems of the art world in one thread or less...

I am swamped right now with work so haven’t had much time to paint.

I will get back here soon to analyze your handy work. Funny side note: I thought your brush strokes were real paint on canvas! ArtRage can be so cool sometimes. Like any medium they all require tweaks to get good results.

Thx for your kind words DO!
    Robert Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    Hey DO!

Yes, I enjoy our side show too! No one is reading these posts so why not solve all the problems of the art world in one thread or less...
    *lurks quietly*

Yes, nobody else is here, continue...

You crack me up HR! Thanks for the kind... Word?
    Robert Hopkins

It’s not just Hannah lurking! Like you Robert I’m swamped with work too
    But I try and keep an eye on the forums here (when I can) and interesting threads like this...
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

I have been studying Chad's work; and honestly, it's not just about "the brush". It is how to use the entire software package.

He does use PS or Affinity Photo more than I will ever do. I have tried so many times to warm up to PS/AP and it has too much bloatware for my tastes, in regards to painting.

He is exploiting all the features in AR. Layers, textures, brushes, opacity, maybe even blend modes? He has spent many years using PS and because of that experience, he may be able to do things in AR that we just would not think about at the time of painting brush strokes. There are more things going on in his paintings than we are seeing from afar. Look closely at his images. Fingerpainting or not! There is a lot going on in his images. Use the F11 key in your browser and get in close to the image. You will see hidden things going on in his paintings. He is a magician with paint!
    Robert Hopkins