Thread: Has Anyone Else Tried Running Art Rage 6 on A Linux Fedora Operating System?

Has Anyone Else Tried Running Art Rage 6 on A Linux Fedora Operating System?

I am interested in some feedback from anyone else out there that has tried Art Rage 6 running on a Fedora Creative Design Suite 30 operating system, or even simply the Fedora 30 Workstation edition of their operating system.

In case you are reading this forum thread and were not aware of the fact that Art Rage will run on a Linux operating system, I am here to testify that it is possible and must say that Art Rage runs very good on Fedora 30 Design Suite.
    Fedora 30 Design Suite is a very good operating system for anyone that has an interest in creative art design. The Fedora 30 Design Suite is a custom designed version of Fedora Workstation 30 (Workstation being their basic) that includes already to go upon installation of the operating system open source programs specifically tailored with tools for artistic creative productivity. You can check out the operating system as a trial run without actually installing the operating system by running it off a thumb drive as a live version. Will also work as a live operating system burned to a DVD disc yet runs a lot slower especially if you have limited RAM on your computer of 4 or less GB. For a live version that runs off a USB thumb drive you will also need to find software that will create the necessary formatting on the thumb drive to install the live operating system on the thumb drive, a program called Rufus will work. Recommend at least 4 GB of Ram on a thumb drive. I have experimented with different options and also found a way to partition a thumb drive and allocate some memory space to store certain apps on the thumb drive and run them with everything stored on the partition formatted to Ext4 or Fat32. With this idea in mind you need a larger size thumb drive. An 8GB with 4GB allocated to each partition is sufficient for experimenting yet you might want to try a larger thumb drive for any long term use where you expect to accumulate saved files or add a lot of extras running a live version of the operating system off the thumb drive. Why would you want space allocated to memory in a separate partition on a thumb drive? The answer is that running a live version of the operating system from a thumb drive will not allow you to save any files within that partition, they will save while the thumb drive is plugged in and running yet will disappear once you shut down the operating system running from a thumb drive. Either way a 4GB partition is enough space to install the operating system. By the way, so you are not mislead if you install the operating system normally on your computer's hard drive you do not have to worry about loosing files that way, runs and saves files like Windows or Mac operating systems.

There is a special way to get Art Rage running on Fedora that requires the installation of a program called WINE. This program is not included in the initial iso file that you use to install Fedora on a thumb drive or hard drive. WINE is available in the Fedora repositories for installation after you have the operating system installed on a hard drive. You can access this program through a command line operation signed in as root that will link you to dnf, simply: dnf install wine. This will work once you are linked to a repository. With the previous version of Art Rage (5) and Fedora 27 I was able to run Art Rage through WINE on Fedora yet had to dig into the Windows directory and find the Art Rage exe file to right click on and have it opened with WINE. Now with Art Rage 6 and Fedora 30 I found through trial and error that Art Rage will install the same way you would go about it on a Windows machine, totally free of the Windows operating system, which leads me to conclude that you are able to run the program on Fedora through WINE on a machine that does not have any Windows operating system on it. This appears to be a new improvement that removes the dependency on a Windows operating system to use Art Rage.

If interested here's a link to the Fedora web site where you can download and try the operating system Fedora Design Suite: https://labs.fedoraproject.org/

I'd like to know if there is anyone else out there that is using Art Rage on a Fedora operating system and your thoughts and comments.
    Last edited by Stephen Lo Piano; 05-11-2020 at 09:08 AM.
    I have a personally designed artwork gallery website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

I haven't tried Fedora Creative Design Suite 30 but I have successfully installed ArtRage 6 on an HP Elitebook running LInux Mint 19 using a tool called Crossover which is a Microsoft compatibility layer based on Wine.

I tried Wine (the software) but by itself could never satisfactorily get it to install ArtRage, I would always end up with a blank popup on installation where I just couldn't select anything.

With Crossover I just ran the ArtRage .exe on linux and went through pretty much the default settings and it was installed and works flawlessly.

I run a dual boot and still paint on Windows (the operating system) as the pen experience generally feels a little smoother and of course it is faster as ArtRage doesn't have the overhead of operating on a compatibility layer.

I tried to run ArtRage on Ubuntu Studio 18.04 about half a year ago, cause I read that it would work with Wine. But the problem was, that Wine didn't work on my computer. A problem that many other users had too. I will upgrade Ubuntu Studio to 20.04 in a few days and than try it again. Would be cool if it would work. If it does, I will report it here.

Ubuntu has a Studio version of their operating system, if anything with Ubuntu could potentially work it would be that version of Debian.

I have the same problem with the Debian operating system, have tried running Art Rage on Debian 9 series (Stretch) and Debian 10 (Buster) using the packages for WINE available through their repositories and the Synaptic Package Manager. The WINE programs they have on Debian are totally different than the WINE packages available for use in Fedora. I did get a couple of WINDOWS programs running on Debian several years ago experimenting using Debian 8 series (Jessie) when I first tried WINE on Linux. Back then I was using an older 32 bit architecture intel (cpu) desktop computer yet only a couple of programs I would never really use on Debian worked, yet nothing I was interested in.

I did have success using Art Rage through WINE on a Debian based variant operating system called AV Linux. AV was actually the first Linux operating system that I tried, it is a more special interest operating system that leans toward Audio and Visual open source software. In the older 2016 version I was able to use Art Rage on AV, it worked back then yet since that time the AV operating system has changed a lot and may no longer work on the 2017, 2018, and 2019 versions. My personal experience over the past twelve years with computers has been desktops without any internet connection available at home. I have learned to use Linux from books I purchased such as "Linux All in One for Dummies", by Emmett Dulaney, and "Linux Bible" by Christopher Negus. To access downloaded necessary packages and .iso files used the internet at local libraries where file downloads from the internet were obtained by thumb drives to bring home. Last week I did get internet at home for the first time in 12 years, directly related to the Covid 19 problem closing down all the local libraries. I have not tried the latest versions of AV Linux since the creator of the operating system moved away from including certain Visual and Office software as part of the bundled software included with the operating system. The operating system is more focused on Audio software in later versions 2017, 2018, and 2019, although with access to repositories over the internet you may stiil be able to get and install other open source software, yet I am not quite certain since I have never tried any on-line AV repositories for software. If you could find a version of AV Linux 2016 around somewhere you might want to try that, in fact leave me an FTP address (I use Filezilla) then I could send you an .iso copy to try out. You could install on thumb drive or DVD to try and if you want install on your computer from there. If you are using Ubuntu there is probably some program on their for burning iso files to a DVD or thumb drive to use for installation or running live operating systems such as UNetbootin.
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    I tried to run ArtRage on Ubuntu Studio 18.04 about half a year ago, cause I read that it would work with Wine. But the problem was, that Wine didn't work on my computer. A problem that many other users had too. I will upgrade Ubuntu Studio to 20.04 in a few days and than try it again. Would be cool if it would work. If it does, I will report it here.
    Looking forward to reading your report. I'm very happy with Ubuntu Studio 20.04 but haven't tried getting any Windows based applications to run on it.

Good Luck!

@runningbull
    Yes, so do I. Sorry, I should already have done that, but my lazyness was stronger. Please, just wait a little longer. I have to repair and set up my old computer before I can try to install ArtRage on it. Hope it will work!!!

And yes, UbuntuStudio is verry cool. Not only because of its huge graphic opportunities, even the Audio- and the Video-Studio, with their huge amount of effect-plugins, are great.
    Last edited by Somerset; 05-23-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    @runningbull I have to repair and set up my old computer before I can try to install ArtRage on it. Hope it will work!!!

And yes, UbuntuStudio is verry cool.
    Oh, I know that feeling. It's amazing how an SSD and some RAM can make almost any old machine run amazingly well, with a fresh OS install that is not too bloated.

I've been a GIMP user for years and Ubuntu Studio makes it all so easy. Haven't even scratched the surface of all the other apps that are included. Thinking about learning Blender "because it's there"

No rush, your efforts are greatly appreciated

My suggestion for attempting to run programs on Ubuntu such as Art Rage.

I am not sure how you are running Art Rage or attempting to install and/or run Art Rage on Ubuntu through WINE.
    If you are placing a copy of the Art Rage .exe executable file in a Linux directory and attempting to get WINE to install, are you getting any positive installation success?
    If yes you do not need any suggestions from me.

If no you might try this approach in a situation where you have an installed copy of Art Rage within the Windows partition on that computer.
    Use a Linux file browser such as Files, PCH File Manager and navigate to the Windows partition of a hard drive where the operating system is located. From there navigate to the Windows (C) directory open up and then go to Program Files. Within Program Files you will find a directory (file) named Ambient Design. Move into the Ambient Design directory and select ArtRage6 (will also work for 5). Look for the ArtRage.exe file there and highlight then press on right mouse button to open up menu. There you will find an option to open using default program (needs to be WINE in this case) or the option to open with other program, look there for WINE and select that option. There are probably two different choices of executable files, one 32 and the other 64. If the version of Linux you are running is a 64 bit architecture version try the 64 bit version first, if that does not work try 32 bit architecture version (some versions of WINE run better with 32 bit .exe files, not sure what is on Ubuntu yet AV Linux followed about the same programs and it worked with AV). You may have to re-enter the activation serial number upon the first successful opening of the program for use. To avoid having to dig into the Windows partition and go through the same navigation procedure every time you want to open the Art Rage program some file managers in Linux such as PCH Manager allow you to create a file link, you can create and place such a link on your desktop that leads to the ArtRage6 directory. From there you only need one left mouse click to open up the directory and then navigate to the .exe file for opening through WINE.

If using Fedora you can install the ArtRage.exe file into the operating system using WINE installer then it will appear in the programs menu under the title of WINE for simply clicking on to open up the program same way it runs in Windows.

artrage

I tried running ArtRage on Ubuntu Studio 18.04 about six months ago because I read that it works with Wine. But the problem is that alcohol doesn't work on my computer. A problem that many users also. I will update Ubuntu Studio a few days after 20.04 and try again. It would have been better if it worked. If so, I will report it here. acnlhairguide.net
    Last edited by richardwillson; 07-23-2020 at 01:09 AM.