Thread: Palette knife lag in Artrage Lite / Artrage 6?

Palette knife lag in Artrage Lite / Artrage 6?

deleted post
    Last edited by ehan27; 10-12-2023 at 11:30 PM.

I have similar issues in ArtRage 5 with the blenders (Palette Knives). My solution was to pass the file to Corel Painter only to use the blender brushes and back to ArtRage. I prefer ArtRage 100% to Painter. However each app has it's strengths and I use them for that.
    ArtRages has horrible blenders. Painter does not.

Hello ehan27 and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    How fast a tool performs in AR is mostly governed by the speed + number of cores the CPU has.
    I've never owned the Lite version but I don’t think there should be any difference in any Tool’s performance between the Light version of AR and the full version.
    The differences only being which elements of the full version have bean left out of the Lite one I think.
    Odd that it should only be effecting one knife though. It may be a bug in the Lite version possibly.
    Which Pallet Knife are you finding slow?
    Is it an existing Preset?
    If not what settings are you using for it when it slows down?
    And how big is the canvas, i.e. Hight in pixels x Width in pixels?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Not meaning to speak for MarkW but I have an I7-4770 (4 cores 8 threads), 32 gbs of DDR3, Video card is a GTX 1060 with 6gbs of memory. And AR 5's palette knife is not very usable when working with a good sized image (5000 x 3000).

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    I have similar issues in ArtRage 5 with the blenders (Palette Knives). My solution was to pass the file to Corel Painter only to use the blender brushes and back to ArtRage. I prefer ArtRage 100% to Painter. However each app has it's strengths and I use them for that.
    ArtRages has horrible blenders. Painter does not.
    I have some beautiful custom brush blenders WITH depth effects... which I made in AR6!

The blending with the custom brush is also convergent (no divergent saturation artifacts)... the palette knife is old hat IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    Not meaning to speak for MarkW but I have an I7-4770 (4 cores 8 threads), 32 gbs of DDR3, Video card is a GTX 1060 with 6gbs of memory. And AR 5's palette knife is not very usable when working with a good sized image (5000 x 3000).
    Here is a plain no depth brushy blender for AR5:

AR5DOsBrushyBlender.arpack

Tell me what you think!

That’s interesting kenmo, that’s the same size canvas I habitually work on too, but I’ve never felt the knife to be generally to slow. And by slow you do mean that it lags behind your pen stroke, right ?
    It’s true with some combinations of knife settings the tool can lag slightly behind my pen on a 5000 x 3000 canvas, but I generally have to push the size to 400 or 500% to induce this, and for me, that is not a common size of blender I need to work with for long or often.
    Though there are a couple of exceptions to that in the presets that ship with AR, Tiny Frost for example being the worst and starting to lag when above 300% on the Essential Canvas, blending paint from the default Oil Brush.
    So maybe the original poster was referring to the Tiny Frost knife, maybe?

As for the whole general area of using other apps in the same painting, I say use whatever gets the job done the way you want it.
    I often swop between AR and an other graphics apps for colour correcting, as for me, AR’s Adjust Colours panel has always been a little bit of an eccentric approach. Something like the HSL adjustment in Affinity Photo would be brilliant for me!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram