Thread: My First Portrait in Pencil

My First Portrait in Pencil

I decided that my mother would make a good subject for my very first pencil portrait. I know that I need to work on shading and tone. Working hard on that...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mum.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	89311  

Unhappy Apologies

Realised my mistake in posting this here but unable to delete it

Quote Originally Posted by annlou View Post
    I decided that my mother would make a good subject for my very first pencil portrait. I know that I need to work on shading and tone. Working hard on that...
    Great start!! Look at "proko" tutorial videos on YouTube. Can help alot how to draw.

Very good indeed! Expression and proportions are right and even the tones, although a little faint. You may probably try to darken by outlining more the main parts, ie. face contour (with a line slightly thicker opposite to light source direction), eyes, upper lip bottom and mouth final sides, lower part of the nose, main curves of hair in case ...
    As an easy trick You may duplicate this drawing and then blend the upper layer on the lower one with the mode Multiply. It emmediately darkens all tones and it's useful for You to see where darker lines are more meaningful. Have a look to the effect.
    Best wishes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Caesar; 03-15-2016 at 11:06 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by danny72 View Post
    Great start!! Look at "proko" tutorial videos on YouTube. Can help alot how to draw.
    And i should redraw the lines on her left side(clothes). That doen't feels right to me.

You captured a gentle kindness in her face. Excellent.

Where did you want to post it? The thread can be moved if you prefer a different forum section like Gallery?

I think it's absolutely wonderful.

Welcome to the forums!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

No Doubt, your painting is impressive but you should improve the shading effect.
    Get Unique Art at most inspiring Art Galleries in Dubai

Red face

Hi and thanks for the guidance. However, this is not an Artrage portrait. Its a pencil drawing done on paper and I was getting really confused lol about what to post where. I realise this site is for Artrage art only. My only defence...being new to it all. I don't want to look dishonest and allow people to think they are looking at an Artrage drawing when it is not. The rest of my stuff on here is absolutely Artrage. In fact, I now seem to use Artrage more than sitting down with pencil and paper or paint and canvas. Love it. Embarrased now.

No need to ever be embarrassed here annlou, that is a great drawing and as Caesar said the shading gives you form and balance so keep posting because you get a lot of help here, it is a wonderful forum with very nice people to help at any time