Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Script to video file?

1. Question Script to video file?

*puts on dunce hat*

As someone who is usually very computer literate, I feel a bit of an idiot here...

Is there anyway to convert a recorded drawing/script in ArtRage into a playable video file that someone without ArtRage can view?

I'm not sure about "converting" it, but you could always use something like CamStudio to record the Playback (which I did for this video).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

3. I actually saw you recommending that in another thread and tried it. My results were not as good as yours! It also made the computer very slow so drawing became a bit difficult. What do you put the settings at and what do you have it save it as?

A couple of things you can do to enhance the video is changing codec you use, and changing the Quality option (both on the Video Options panel). What codecs are offered will depend on your computer system. I usually use one called "Microsoft Video 1". I've found that some codecs take great video, but create huge files. Others create small files, but produce a lousy picture quality. In either case, whichever codec you select, will be affected by "Quality" option you set. So you'll have to do some experimenting with them. For the video I linked you to, I used the settings posted in my attached screen shot.

The cool thing about the new Script recording, for cases like this, is that you can record the drawing using the script recorder, then just play that back and record it with camstudio, after the fact. This way, you're not having to draw while recording an actual video, which you said causes your strokes to lag.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Someonesane; 07-20-2011 at 10:17 AM.

5. Thanks! That worked great (recording the recording with the settings).

Still would love to know if there is a way to convert the script, but this works great till then.

Is it true that Camstudio does not work on Windows 7. only XP and vista.?

Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    Is it true that Camstudio does not work on Windows 7. only XP and vista.?

I'm not sure Albert. I don't have a computer with Windows 7 to test it on. However, I have had some good results in getting older programs made to run on XP, run on my Vista system, by changing it's "Compatibility mode". So, if you've already installed it, and tried it, but it didn't work, you could try to change that option. If Windows 7 allows for it, here's what you'll need to do (You'll only need to do it once for any program you need to do it for):
    1 - Install the program, if you haven't already (in this case, you'd install Camstudio)

2 - Once installed, locate the shortcut for the program, right click on it, and select "Properties" (assuming W7 still has that option).

3 - The Properties panel should now be opened. Locate and select the "Compatibility" tab.

4 - In the Compatibility section, you should see an area listed "Compatibility Mode", with a menu in it. Check mark the option to enable it, then click on the menu (it should expand, giving you a number of options to choose from). If available, select the newest mode that the program (CamStudio in this case) listed that it was compatible with (probably XP or Vista).

5 - Click "Apply" to set the changes, or just click "Ok" to both apply and exit the Properties Panel.

6 - Test the program to see if it now works correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nureek View Post
    Thanks! That worked great (recording the recording with the settings).

Still would love to know if there is a way to convert the script, but this works great till then.
    There isn't a way to convert ArtRage scripts to video files in ArtRage itself so using a recording utility would be the best way to create video files. While we do understand that people might want to record videos, we'd rather avoid overburdening the application with features that aren't directly related to painting and can be handled better in an external app designed for it.

Thanks Gaeton. I finally did get it to work.
    guess what else I had some limited success with...

try recording a script and then turning on camstudio
    and playing the script while you are recording.

very cool.

p.s. edit:

I had to go with a previous version of camstudio and not the new beta for some reason couldn't get the beta to run.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 07-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    Thanks Gaeton. I finally did get it to work.
    Ah, good to hear.

guess what else I had some limited success with...

try recording a script and then turning on camstudio
    and playing the script while you are recording.
    Do you mean recording the script playback, or is there something else? My Blue Bird video was created by playing back the .arscript at an accelerated pace, and recording it with Camstudio. Which is quite beneficial, since taking actual video while drawing can eat up system resources.