Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse on the Beach

Horse on the Beach

Hi
    Just beginning in ArtRage.This is a copy of a photo I found on Facebook. I cannot give credit to the photographer as I have not been able to find the post again, but it was not copyrighted or watermarked.
    Gentle but honest critique would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horse.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	89214  

Excellent work! My only suggestion is to lift out some more of the 3d form and details of the horse with a little more light in areas which are lit by the sun, leaving only those areas in total shadow as pitch black.

Currently, too much of this gorgeous horse, the muscles, the hair, is hiding in the absolute blackness, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Excellent work! My only suggestion is to lift out some more of the 3d form and details of the horse with a little more light in areas which are lit by the sun, leaving only those areas in total shadow as pitch black.

Currently, too much of this gorgeous horse, the muscles, the hair, is hiding in the absolute blackness, so to speak.
    Thanks..will work on it.

To clarify and summarize:

I like what I see... and I want to see more!

Lovely job on this, Patty!

My suggestion would be to have another look at the front leg on our right, that it comes out of the body much like the other front leg.

Keep going, great work!

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    Lovely job on this, Patty!

My suggestion would be to have another look at the front leg on our right, that it comes out of the body much like the other front leg.

Keep going, great work!
    Thanks for this.... it's funny you finish your picture and think everything is fine and then when others point out things you can immediately see what they mean!

Well, a quite challenging painting! I think this is the reference picture You worried about for copyright.
    Frankly it looks like a quite standard picture recording a most common image of a horse running on a beach. I don't see any particular creativity or originality which could lead anyone taking this picture to claim any whatsoever copyright. I made many most interesting shots of clouds and skys and I can hardly imagine I might copyright cloudy skies for this. We're getting crazy about copyrights and patents and try to make money out of any real merit we may have. Anyway there's no worldwide law and jurisdiction ... fortunately, and we should absolutely legally avoid that huge global players are entitled book for themeselves even the air we breathe or the words our ancestorse invented in each language which they didn't create!
    Personally I just immediatly see these possible interpretation problems to my sight:
    the horse is too black and almost anywhere. Usually very few points have the absolutely darkest tone and here we're not even in a case of low-key image;
    the head and the neck seems too massive to me, quite heavy;
    the black spot just over the horse's left eye seem an eye itself in the wrong place. It's so dark and predominant that You cannot immediately recognize what the true eye is.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thanks again

Thanks again. Now that these points have been pointed out...I can see them clear as day! I feel a bit deflated but I guess this is a steep learning curve and better to have them pointed out early in my digital learning curve and let's face it that's why I posted here, to benefit from more experienced eyes. thanks I take it all on board.

Please don't be deflated - it's a beautiful painting of a very beautiful animal. As you are new to ArtRage and it's tools, you have done a commendable job with this painting. I look forward to seeing more from you.

EDIT: I found the picture you used as a reference and your painting is very close to the reference photo - including the 'blackness' - perhaps blend the area where the foreleg attaches to the chest - there seems to be a division/line that doesn't appear in the photo and wouldn't be there in real life. I think the Friesian stallion's neck looks a little overdeveloped because we can't see his thick wavy mane. A little more work on the mane would improve that part of the painting. You captured the likeness very well.

BTW - here is a link to the photographer's site - http://hypofocus.com/index.html You asked about copyright in another post. As the photographer sells stock photos of horses and has also published a book of her horse photos - this photo would be copyright protected - you could contact her and ask permission to use her photos as references for paintings.
    Last edited by Enug; 03-02-2016 at 02:46 AM.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    Please don't be deflated - it's a beautiful painting of a very beautiful animal. As you are new to ArtRage and it's tools, you have done a commendable job with this painting. I look forward to seeing more from you.

EDIT: I found the picture you used as a reference and your painting is very close to the reference photo - including the 'blackness' - perhaps blend the area where the foreleg attaches to the chest - there seems to be a division/line that doesn't appear in the photo and wouldn't be there in real life. I think the Friesian stallion's neck looks a little overdeveloped because we can't see his thick wavy mane. A little more work on the mane would improve that part of the painting. You captured the likeness very well.

BTW - here is a link to the photographer's site - http://hypofocus.com/index.html You asked about copyright in another post. As the photographer sells stock photos of horses and has also published a book of her horse photos - this photo would be copyright protected - you could contact her and ask permission to use her photos as references for paintings.
    Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I really am enjoying Artrage and will definitely persevere and take on all the suggestions I have been given. I have no idea as to how you found the image and photographers website but thank you for taking the trouble to do so and I will contact her.