Thread: Woman in Bar

Woman in Bar

Done entirely in ArtRage. I enjoy the painterly look you can get with AR and am always (attempting to be) learning. Would love to know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	womanbar522a.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	102363

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	womanbar522.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	102364

Another good portrait from you jc001 and not a red head this time I see!
    She has a very textural, almost sculpted feel to her, heightened by keeping her surroundings smooth and texture free. Quite striking
    But what has just caught her attention…?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

I'm not a trained artist but I like the way you have used colour and marks to make these great portraits.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Another good portrait from you jc001 and not a red head this time I see!
    She has a very textural, almost sculpted feel to her, heightened by keeping her surroundings smooth and texture free. Quite striking
    But what has just caught her attention…?
    Thanks mark, I appreciate it. Funny you noticed "not a redhead" because I've already picked out my next portrait and yes, it's a redhead (but maybe not natural).

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    I'm not a trained artist but I like the way you have used colour and marks to make these great portraits.
    I really appreciate that more than you know, Enug. Thank you.

BTW Enug the personalities you capture in your beautiful animal portraits is amazing. I feel like I know them.

Thank you - that's so nice of you.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

I like the painting, there is a feeling of her vulnerability and loneliness that works well for me anyway.

I think the object just to the left of the wine glass is a bit of a distraction. It is lighter and pulls my eye to it and I can’t decipher what it is so it holds my attention.

Lovely moody painting!

Quote Originally Posted by Perendale View Post
    I like the painting, there is a feeling of her vulnerability and loneliness that works well for me anyway.

I think the object just to the left of the wine glass is a bit of a distraction. It is lighter and pulls my eye to it and I can’t decipher what it is so it holds my attention.

Lovely moody painting!
    Thanks. The bit I'm most proud of is the mood I captured, and also the fact that she feels rather solid and weighty.

The object on the side is... stainless steel jugs. I wondered if they were perhaps a little too light and eye-catching but they were the last thing I included (also in the reference) and it just felt too empty without anything over there; making the image perhaps a little too obvious for my taste. I appreciate the observation. Out of curiosity I may look at what it looks like with them a little darker.

Your technique makes me believe you have some experience working with natural media such as oil paints or acrylics. The close up of the lady you presented shows strokes of paint outside the part of the color wheel that your object is centered around. The strokes of paint such as blue on the face look good for highlighting reflective light. You have used this technique throughout the painting with very good results. I think of natural media oil painting looking at the technique used in this image.
    I have a personally designed artwork gallery website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lo Piano View Post
    Your technique makes me believe you have some experience working with natural media such as oil paints or acrylics. The close up of the lady you presented shows strokes of paint outside the part of the color wheel that your object is centered around. The strokes of paint such as blue on the face look good for highlighting reflective light. You have used this technique throughout the painting with very good results. I think of natural media oil painting looking at the technique used in this image.
    Thank you for taking the time to make these observations, Stephen. It means a lot to me.