Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to quickly change size of pen/tool/painter to above 100%?

How to quickly change size of pen/tool/painter to above 100%?

Hi there! I'm using a MS surface and often paint on high res, so I need sizes way over 100%, more like 200-300%. To achieve this I have to tap it with my pen, then click my keyboard icon, type in the number and then continue. It sucks because anytime I want to change anything over 100% I have to manually type it. Sometimes I want 220, or 290, and I have to type them in each time. Is there a trick to moving it up and down (like you can between 0-100) for numbers above 100? I am using 5.0.8 version and would gladly upgrade if the new versions allowed you to do this!

Thank you for your help!

EDIT - I see you can change it quickly with SHIFT and drag pen, and that is awesome - but I don't use my keyboard when I paint, it just gets in the way! I can't change the button on my pen to "shift" unfortunately, or I haven't found a way to yet.
    Last edited by Breezy; 04-14-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Hi Breezy!

On my stylus, I can set one of the buttons to "Shift". But that doesn't work anyway, because I can't press both buttons at a time, and you will always need to press two buttons to zoom.

I think the best solution for you would be to use the "Canvas Positioner" (Screenshot). If you click on that button up there in the menu bar, you will get this round panel. If you drag with the sylus in the upper field, I marked with an arrow, you can zoom the canvas. You can even zoom in steps, rotate and move the canvas with this panel. Just test it out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zoom.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	758.8 KB 
ID:	101487
    Last edited by Somerset; 04-14-2021 at 07:10 PM.

Oh wow, your artrage looks so much different than mine! They've done a lot of changes. Yes, the zoom thing works great - but I'm actually trying to change my "tool" size. The size of the brushes. You know how you can with the keyboard using shift and dragging your stylus. if you drag up in down in the tool size space without shift, it only goes to 100, but I need it to go way past that because I'm painting on big surfaces. It confuses me why it stops at 100%, especially when there are presets for high res prints, and a tool of 100% is most definitely too small.

Are able to change the tool size easily with the new art rage? It looks fancy but I can't find ANYTHING on this. Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Hi Breezy!

On my stylus, I can set one of the buttons to "Shift". But that doesn't work anyway, because I can't press both buttons at a time, and you will always need to press two buttons to zoom.

I think the best solution for you would be to use the "Canvas Positioner" (Screenshot). If you click on that button up there in the menu bar, you will get this round panel. If you drag with the sylus in the upper field, I marked with an arrow, you can zoom the canvas. You can even zoom in steps, rotate and move the canvas with this panel. Just test it out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zoom.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	758.8 KB 
ID:	101487

I don't think there are for tool size. At least you can use shortcut to increase/decrease size. I think default is '[' and ']' or 'Left/Right arrow key' (hold Shift for change size by 10% each step instead of 1%).

Oh wow, your artrage looks so much different than mine!
    It's because I use the Docking Mode with "Lights out" (menu "View"/"Inteface Modus" in ArtRage 6). Don't remember if this already existed in former versions.

Yes, to change the brush size without a keyboard seems to only be possible with the "Tool Size" option in the menu bar, if your stylus doesn't offer any other option. You can even drag your stylus over this "Tool Size" field to change it's value, but this only reaches from 0-100%. Bigger sizes (maximum 500%) must be inserted by numerous input. As I said, my graphics tablet (Wacom) allows to set one of the keys to "Shift", so that I can even change the size of the brushes with only one hand if I want (I use to work with graphics tablet and a keyboard). But if your stylus doesn't, I'm afraid this will not be possible.
    Last edited by Somerset; 04-15-2021 at 01:50 AM.

Okay thanks for confirming! That's too bad though, I'll keep researching if there is a way to program my stylus. Hope they update it for us folks who can't change their stylus programming easily. Microsoft surface should really let you do that in their pen settings, but unfortunately they don't!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    It's because I use the Docking Mode with "Lights out" (menu "View"/"Inteface Modus" in ArtRage 6). Don't remember if this already existed in former versions.

Yes, to change the brush size without a keyboard seems to only be possible with the "Tool Size" option in the menu bar, if your stylus doesn't offer any other option. You can even drag your stylus over this "Tool Size" field to change it's value, but this only reaches from 0-100%. Bigger sizes (maximum 500%) must be inserted by numerous input. As I said, my graphics tablet (Wacom) allows to set one of the keys to "Shift", so that I can even change the size of the brushes with only one hand if I want (I use to work with graphics tablet and a keyboard). But if your stylus doesn't, I'm afraid this will not be possible.

I found an app that I bought off the MS store for $4 that lets me change my button to shift on my pen! But the problem is now, when I try to use it, it actually zooms up my workspace instead of changing the tool size. I confirmed it is most definitely holding shift, but when I drag the pen it zooms the whole board. What the heck? I can't find any keyboard short cuts for that.

Does anyone know how Art rage interprets the stylus pen for MS surface? You know how you can hold shift on the keyboard and drag your pen, and the tool size increases - well where is that in the short cuts / preferences? Maybe if i can find where that is, I can figure out why it's zooming on me instead of changing the tool size.

Thanks all!

Welcome Breezy to the Forum!

I don't know much about the speedy paint that you do but perhaps I can help a little:
    I personally did some custom brushes for those I need the most,
    for example 230 or 500 size,
    you can't do that with all your brushes , it would be too heavy for the presets
    but the general idea is that you can have some favorite brushes on your custom size,
    that's all I can say.
    Is easy to do this custom brushes,
    I can guess that you need something else but it can be useful that way too.

Only pay attention, when you do too many custom brushes it can be too heavy to charge them,
    than you can delete or have the extra brushes in a different folder and bring them back when needed.
    It can seem a loss of time ,but You wouldn't like to stay 5 minutes to expect to charge ArtRage with all the presets ,
    of cause , all this depends of the personal system .
    It may help you a little.
    Last edited by Dany51; 04-15-2021 at 01:46 PM.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

Have a look at this thread by RedSaucers and see if this tool might be useful for your purposes. I find it invaluable.

https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...ing-AutoHotKey
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    Have a look at this thread by RedSaucers and see if this tool might be useful for your purposes. I find it invaluable.

https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...ing-AutoHotKey
    A couple days ago I was trying to remember what that tool was since I remember frequent posts from you about it. Glad you came in to drop that wisdom