Thread: Hiding/unhiding locked layers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks!

I don't often hide either, but when I make an initial pencil sketch I want to lock it (lock all) to stop me painting into it, but I also often want to hide it as I work on the painting to check how it will look w/out the sketch.

Brett
    "You do not suffer because things are impermanent. You suffer because things are impermanent and you think they are permanent." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Tech stuff: 24" iMac M1: Wacom Intuos Pro L: iPad Pro 12.9"

I have never locked a layer! Am I missing something advantageous to my workflow?
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    I have never locked a layer! Am I missing something advantageous to my workflow?
    Well, if you’ve got this far without ever doing it June I’m inclined to say in answer to your question; probably not!
    And it could be that we all should be looking to your workflow and maybe not using it too!
    But I’ve used it too like Brett has above.
    Some of my paintings have a lot of Layers as I’m working but maybe not much paint on any given layer as I try things out to find a way forwards with an idea, and this is when I’m most likely to be Locking and/or Hiding things.
    I hate to say it but sometimes I’m just throwing stuff at a painting and seeing what sticks, which is perhaps not the most efficient workflow!
    But as things progress the number of Layers and Groups in my paintings dose thankfully come down as Layers get merged together and my need for Locking and/or hiding Layers falls away.
    Last edited by markw; 12-04-2023 at 02:18 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram