Thread: 2019 Sketchbook - Digital Oils

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Welcome to the forums! These are really nice, they have a really painterly look to them.

Hoooo-weeeee! If this is you just warming up, you are going to be a force to be reckoned with! I also love the brushwork, and the painterly look of this work.
    I got the chance to see some JS Sargent work in DC last year. I think the noise of my jaw hitting the floor startled the guard. That man’s brushwork is simply insane...gobs and slashes of apparently carelessly-mixed paint that coalesce into a perfect landscape as you step back. ��

Thanks all! Apologies for the extremely late reply.

Quote Originally Posted by el Davo Loco View Post
    Hoooo-weeeee! If this is you just warming up, you are going to be a force to be reckoned with! I also love the brushwork, and the painterly look of this work.
    I got the chance to see some JS Sargent work in DC last year. I think the noise of my jaw hitting the floor startled the guard. That man’s brushwork is simply insane...gobs and slashes of apparently carelessly-mixed paint that coalesce into a perfect landscape as you step back. ��
    I hear you about Sargent, el Davo. He's my absolute favourite painter: I saw a full exhibition of his at the Royal Portrait Gallery in London a few years back and could have stayed in there for days. Every single canvas was a masterpiece!

Here are some more sketches I did today, trying to stay loose and only use the bare minimum in terms of tools and layers. I need to work on my edges a lot more: I find those are absolutely key to a successful image (and something Sargent was also a master at, of course).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chicken_crop.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	97565

Name:  Lemon sketch warmup.jpg
Views: 15607
Size:  271.5 KB

Name:  Cherry sketch warmup.jpg
Views: 13674
Size:  396.6 KB

Name:  Fish_crop.jpg
Views: 11912
Size:  403.3 KB

Wow Fantastic work your are a master : D
    Visit my website here

Haha! Far from a master, but thank you very much!

Hi. Dan. Fantastic art. Congrats. For showing. Will help all us blind bats we hope to Paint .
    Regards ploos. CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS. HASTA LA VISTA. SLAINTE

Love your brush strokes. Great paintings