Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Musicians

Musicians

Taking a brief break from abstracts and decided to do some musicians. These are created using a few different software filters and manipulations, along layers of ArtRage painted brush strokes. I typically import the base image and then put 3 layers on top. One is at 100% opacity, the next at 40% and the last at 15%. Brush strokes done on the 100% layer cover completely, the 40% are semi transparent and the 15% acts as a light wash.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frank and gary-Edit AR.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	297.7 KB 
ID:	96649

The result is BRILLIANT! Sorry for being so enthusiastic about a "mere digression". I just relate to it in a big way. I think all the processing you did made for a very elegant manipulation of the colors where they become more related. And the shape stylization is super. Perhaps this is my level of abstraction. Old illustrator, you know and love the story or point being made very clearly yet being also "out there" with the technique. A delightful balance between the various sensibilities. Love it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks D. I've dome a few of these now and getting a LOT of positive response. Here is one of Gene Perla, who lives a few blocks from me and has played with Miles, Sonny Rollins, Sarah Vaughn, Nina Simon and Elvin Jones. I placed him against a background of one of my recent abstracts before starting the manipulations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	perla1 copy.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	96650

Great stuff! I like the flow of the edges of the various shapes in these and the bold lighting.

Love this stuff. Very colorful.
    The past is history, the future is a mystery, all you have is the present

That drummer one's composition is particularly dynamic. Fills the space very well and I really like the iterative rhythmic stuff in the hair and throughout -- a very drumstick movement feel which is so descriptive of the instrument process. I can definitely see why the response to this style is so positive. So there you are with your bass. As cool a self-portrait if ever was.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Very beautiful paintings. I love them. What kind of filters you are using on these, I am interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    Very beautiful paintings. I love them. What kind of filters you are using on these, I am interested in it.
    Original photo is resized, cropped and has any obstructions hand painted out using the clone tool or straight paint brushes. Areas that need it are selected, the selection smoothed/feathered and then brightened or darkened or color shifted as desired.

Photoshop filters used: Art filters -- Underpainting, High Pass, Adjustments: Vibrance/Saturation/Color Balance.

Resulting image is then duplicated a few times and put on layers. one layer will be filtered with film grain, another with watercolor filter. I then play around with the transparency of the layers until I feel the mix has an "artsy" quality. Flatten and save. Bring image into Topaz studio and again make multiple versions. Apply filters in Topaz, my favorites are "Liquid Ethereal," "ghost town," and "Jo_Malerei." I also use the AI Remix effects.

Bring the resultant images BACK to Photoshop and layer again and play with transparency of each layer. If color needs more pop, I sometimes make additional layers and change to "Multiply" mode which is like seeing through two versions of the image on glass. Brighten the multiply layer as desired. Sometimes I erase areas on one layer or anther to bring out certain features -- like a particularly nice texture or to help preserve a bit of detail in an area.

Flatten and save out a new version of the image and import into ArtRage add three layers in ArtRage, one at 100%, one at 40% and one at 15% and paint them as you see fit. I tend to add areas of color to the 100% layer and then use the frosted pallet knife to soften the edges and bring the color together with the image layer below. I like the chalks for adding to the semi transparent layers. Get the image to where you like it and then bring back into Photoshop. I add some additional brushwork using the grund brushes. Flatten the image and call it a day.