ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printers?

Printers?

I don't know if this is the proper place but... I can't think of a better one, or group of people with the same concerns.

I Need a new printer and haven't a clue. I originally bought a MF Laser B&W as I had planned on doing cabinet and furniture designs and was told they made the best tech. copies. And it did for awhile, but in the end I still enjoy getting out the old drafting board & T-square, Call me old fashioned.

Now it needs a new Drum to the tune of $150.00 and I'm sorry but,,,

I'm more into AR now and I Want Color! I'd still like a MF Printer as I need a Fax from time to time. Also I think Ink'd be fine.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. sam

The latest batch of reviews I came across (admittedly, some time ago now) put Canon (PIXMA, i9xxx series) at the top of the heap, followed closely by HP (PhotoSmart 82xx) and Epson (Stylus Photo R18xx, R3xx). This is for a consumer-level inkjet, USD$200-$300 (except for the Epson Stylus Photo R1800, which is something like US$450).

I don't print enough to be an expert on the matter, but I have had Epson printers since the dot matrix days, and I find the Stylus line to be good enough. But then, the most ambitious thing I've done is to print custom CD labels and a few photographs. If I were to purchase a new printer today, I'd probably go with a Canon or one of the higher-end, slightly larger-format Epsons.

Good luck!

- Gita

Thank you, Gita.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing, then, the morning after that post, I found a Canon Dig Cam on sale, that I could afford, that actually has a Macro setting that I need to shoot details of my work. So I went for it, having $ left over from selling that guitar I once spoke of. So I will go with a Canon printer
    when I buy one so it's sure to be compatible with the Camera. Finally I'll be able to bring my portfolio, both art & woodwork, up to date, and maybe, someday, get a real Website. When I grow up.

If you get a min. checkout: http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/3sambo3/ Details of these drawings are the reason for the Macro .

Try the Brother 215mfc its really good and its the best printer i've used in 12 years

Here in New Zealand it cost me $299
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Just a quick FYI - I've recently had a user contact me with a canon pixma ip6600D who reports that they get a black square printing anything from ArtRage. A driver update didn't help, so it appears that this printer may not support the high-quality stretch function in the Windows print dialog.

This is something we've noted down to look at for a future update, but if you're looking to print from ArtRage, this may be some useful info.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Cripster,

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't really concidering a Brother as that's what I have now, but a Laser. In light of Dave's FYI tho I'll definately research the model you mentioned.

Dave,

my only response is GULP. Thanks for the tip. I most definately want, or will when I do something worthy of printing, to print my ArtRage work. You mention Windows, could this not be a problem as I have a Mac?

Thanks to both of you,
    sam

I've not heard negative feedback from Mac users regarding printing, so it's safe to say we're not aware of any problems. I'd say this particular thing relates to Windows only
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Sam, what lovely work! When you're ready for a web site, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM if you need a hand with it or have general web geekery type questions. =]

.g

Oh Dearest Gita,

Bless you my child, bless you. I get a lump in my gut just thinking about it. You can expect allot of ?'s. And plea's. Designing a website is not something I
    really look forward too. I have enuf on my plate as it is.

I'm really glad you like the work. I've been on a few year haitus from art and AR and the forums are dragging me, kicking and screaming, back into it by the scruff of my neck. And it feels so good.

It'll probably take me from 1 week to 3 months to get the bloody new camera figured out.

Thanks So Much, again.
    sam

For printing hard copy of serious artwork, you want top quality photo paper.

For printers, an inkjet printer is good with features that allow borderless printing and a maximum range of prints reaching to 13"X19", the closest size to an actual canvas in natural media. A borderless printing feature is close to the real thing with natural media, you would rarely paint on a canvas and leave an outside border surrounding your painting. HP, Epson and Cannon make consumer printers with 13"X19" capability and borderless printing.

You might also save on expensive color ink cartridges by purchasing a printer that has 8 different color cartridges instead of one. Reason being with 8 separate cartridges you will need to replace only the color that is depleted instead of an entire cartridge with all colors in one, whereas this particular type of cartridge may be out of one color yet still has the other two primaries, wasted ink and very expensive. HP makes a several color ink cartridge printer, Epson and Cannon have the eight color cartridges.

I never was able to purchase such myself, since when I bought my computer and printer, creating digital artwork was something I had not discovered at the time of buying. I have learned since and would do this in the future if I ever have money for such a purchase.
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.