ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to perform exact copies?

How to perform exact copies?

Hello,
    I am trying to draw some tiled textures, like a wall, by just drawing part of it (a brick) and duplicating it several time. But I failed to perform a nice copy of the original brick.

Indeed, I have followed the following process to perform the duplication, and the duplicated brick is blurred compared to the orignal one:

1. Create a new layer for the original brick,
    2. Duplicate the layer,
    3. Go into the transform mode for this new layer, and just move.

I have attached a sample image (not a brick): the original drawing is on the left, the duplicated one on the right. You 'll notice that right one is blurred (I have applied a 2xzoom on the image to highlight the problem).

Am I doing something wrong?

regards,
    -thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Have you considered making a stencil or a grain?

I have tried to export it as an image and then import it in a layer.
    The result is not so bad (but still a little blurred) but then I lose all paint information.

Technically speaking, I think that maybe the transform operation in artrage could be improved: when performing a translation only, It should not perform resampling (but I guess that resampling is necessary because transform is supporting sub-pixel translation).

Hi dragfly! Can you tell me which version of ArtRage you're using there? ( Help, About ArtRage )
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Dave, I am using the very last one under windows (I have purchased it last week ).
    I think it's the 2.5.18 (I am not at home so I cannot confirm it now).

In fact, I am using version 2.5.19.

-dragfly-

Hi Dragfly,
    Can you tel me the process you're going through to produce this bug?
    I can't reproduce the problem here either by duplicating the layer, or by copy/pasting the layer.
    Is your canvas at a zoom other than 100%?
    If your are zoomed in, then ArtRage allows sub-pixel placement of transformed content. If you are zoomed out it may also be placing on a sub-pixel boundary.

If your canvas zoom level is at 100% and your canvas is not rotated at all then you should get pixel-perfect placement of your copied layer.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Hi Andy,
    Indeed I am performing the placement with a zoom factor of 300%, this is certainly the reason why I don't get pixel perfect placement!
    I'll confirm it to you when I'll be back from work.

Hi Andy, I confirm that at 100%, the duplicated stencil is equivalent to the original one.
    I have also discovered that I need to work with 'cell ' paper in order to keep the exactly same aspect when I am changing the position of a stencil.

Thanks,
    dragfly