ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Accurate Pencil Cursor

snoopbaron Guest

Accurate Pencil Cursor

ArtRage is a great product, but I'm really disappointed in the lack of cursor accuracy in the basic pencil tool. I'd love to see perfect accuracy for some simple tools like pencil, pen, and marker. Or at least a perfect accuracy mode on those tools even if it is at the expense (only while in this mode) of some effects.

Right now the cursor even with "Use precise cursor" and "precise tablet mode" is the least precise cursor out of the five different drawing apps that I have installed, and by a good margin.

I've attached a screenshot collage of pencil strokes from different angles showing not only how far off the cursor is but how it changes location based on stroke direction.

In addition to the problems of accuracy and location of line relative to the cursor that you can see in the screenshots, there is another problem. When you lift the pencil an additional segment is added. This can be very disorienting although it does help in getting the line a bit closer to the cursor. This "line hop" when you lift the pen is not very natural, and does a poor job at mimicking a real pencil.

I realize that AmbientDesign is probably already aware of this. And that it is all probably due to the advance stroke simulation that ArtRage uses to create its great brush effects. But I'd love to have the ability of drawing simple lines without this unnatural behavior. Even if it is added as a separate tool or a mode that doesn't use the same stroke engine I'd be happy with the change.

Am I the only one that wants to have this either changed in the current pencil tool or added as a new pencil or mode?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Have you tried the 'precise pencil' option?
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

snoopbaron Guest
    Hi Andy,

I haven't made a decision to purchase the software yet, so I have been testing with the free version. I missed this option, but it is disabled in the free version of ArtRage. Would turning this on give me the accuracy that I'm looking for where the pencil line always starts and ends at the small dot in the center of the cursor or would it simply provide an increment of improvement, but not go all the way? Keep in mind I'm not talking about processing lag as the offset is still there even if I'm not moving the pen.

Thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    It has been some time since this post.

Would turning this on give me the accuracy that I'm looking for where the pencil line always starts and ends at the small dot in the center of the cursor or would it simply provide an increment of improvement, but not go all the way?
    The answer is yes. It would be precise.
    AB
    kiva.org
    How you can help people living in developing countries