Thread: Tablet PC Art Rage Question

Gallery
    View images

Tablet PC Art Rage Question

All, I am using a Lenovo X61 tablet. After working in Art Rage 2.5 (paid version) for about an hour or so, my X61 gets HOT. I think this is because Art Rage is hammering the swap file (I'm assuming for the temp file for undos).

I'd like to know if there is a way to limit UNDO's to say one or two so the swap file is not hit so much. I have 4GB of RAM and Art Rage is hardly using it.

Please advise on any and all ways I can get Art Rage to stop hitting my hard drive so hard . The heat coming out of my X61 is not good. Panel gets so hot it feels like it could overheat (note: does this in NO other programs I use)

Thanks

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there,

There is no way inside ArtRage to change the way that it uses temp files or the location of the temp files. ArtRage uses the default Windows temp file system for undo.

It might be possible in your Windows system properties to change the location of the default temp file location ( TEMP in system variables ) to a RAM disk or similar if you have something like that set up, but I'm not sure how that would impact on your general Windows performance.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images

Hmmph

Hey Dave. Is this something Ambient might address in a future release? Shouldn't users have the ability to decide if they want that level of UNDO or not? We are talking about a potentially serious performance gain here by disabling UNDO. After all, if I'm working in a sketch pad, the only UNDO I have is my eraser. Hence, I think the eraser is just fine for many, many artists. I would love the ability to turn off UNDO and thus reduce the hard drive overhead ten fold. The current design does not seem efficient to me at all. My hard drive is going to burn out in a month at this rate. HELP

Gallery
    View images
    You might find that the suggestion in my original post may help. We may look at changing the levels of undo at some point in the future.

You may also find, as this isn't a problem we have seen reported by other users, that you have a lot of background tasks running on your machine which are contributing to the heat problem in combination with everything else that is being asked of the system. Lenovo tablets tend to have a fairly sizeable number of background utilities preinstalled by default I've noticed when I had one here to test some time ago. Background processes use memory, and the system will be using the swap file for additional memory for general tasks, in addition to Artrage using the temp files to store undo info.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Dave. You have a SUPERB product already, and I would really appreciate it if you guys gave users the ability to determine how many UNDO levels they want. Personally I would be thrilled to just have one or two levels of UNDO. As an artist, that's all I need. There's always that brilliant SAVE AS feature if I get UNDO happy

My system is very lean. I have stripped it down to the bare essentials (as I do on all my machines). That's not to discount your idea, just stating the facts.

Dave, while I have you, what is your opinion of the HP TC1100?

Ty!

Gallery
    View images
    Ahh cool, that's great to know regarding the background tasks on your system. I noticed my test unit I managed to get hold of here had a ton of stuff on it so I was wondering

We always make sure to take note of everyone's suggestions, and they don't go unappreciated, definitely!

Regarding the HP TC 1100, I'm going to have to plead ignorance there I'm afraid! I've not used one myself. I believe that Steppenwolf and ajwilcox here on the forums use one for their art if that's any help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design