ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Reworked Woodpecker

Gallery
    View images

Reworked Woodpecker

Tried to give the old dead tree a little more definition and depth.. Perhaps I overcooked it??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Click Upper Right To Visit My Gallery

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Rick,

The thing you probably might bear in mind is what you're painting. If it's a tree trunk, then think first about the overall volume of that cylindrical shape. It's essentially a tube (probably) with some texture and a few bumps. (Depends on the type of tree).

All the emphatic detail in the tree becomes a distraction from what it essentially is: a prop for showing off your woodpecker. And that is where your choosing how to show off the bird comes in to play. Your selectivity of the elements in your pic is really at the heart of the matter.

Also, as a stretching artist, it's a good idea to push it to see how far you can go with it occasionally. That's a way to grow. But it seems a little cooked, as you say.

Hope this helps.

Gallery
    View images
    Me thinks this is true.. Also I learned a valuable lesson.. ""Don't delete the original"" .. Which I did.. Well you live and learn, don't you..

Gallery
    View images
    Just from the opinion of someone who has had to change art regularly, it would be a relatively easy thing to paint over this tree thing on another layer.

The bird is so good, I think it would be worth it saving the pic, as well as getting some mileage on rodeo roping of your picture. It's needn't get away.

But that's my opinion as a kibitzer from the peanut gallery.

It's a really nice piece, Rick.

Gallery
    View images
    In other words, who's gonna look much at the stump with that wonderful bird there. Well done Rick and take it from me, never throw any version away.

Gallery
    View images
    For sure, the bird stays.. The tree thingy is on two layers, so I can make that go away and be back to just the bird and a green background.. I was just moaning because of the work I had in the original tree, and I went ahead and dumped it.. So really, not all is lost I have the bird and the background, and I will start a tree thingy anew.. Thanks for your good thoughts D, they are always appreciated by me..

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Robert, much appreciated..

Gallery
    View images
    That's very beautiful bird painting and well painted.

Gallery
    View images
    It just gets better each time. That is amazing work Rick. Beautiful.

Gallery
    View images

Smile Realistic

WOW! I looks so realistic, and I like how you choose to have a blank background. It makes the perfect contrast.
    "Be Unique. Be Yourself. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."