ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Problem with exporting images

Problem with exporting images

When I export to .psd and try to open it in GIMP I get this error: "Unexpected end of file while reading 'layer extra data block signature' chunk"

Artrage doesn't seem to have any other format that supports layers, and I need to be able to move stuff around independently inside individual layers.

Please help?

We're trying to determine if that bug is in Gimp, or ArtRage. Photoshop can open the PSDs fine. If you then re-save the file from Photoshop, Gimp can read it.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I am afraid I can't afford photoshop. I was actually considering buying it, but it cost alot more than I thought. I thought there was a students edition that I could afford, but I can't seem to find it. All the editions I could find had a prize with one zero more than I could ever afford. While writing this I got an idea, I checked the homepage that you get access to when you get your student ID in Sweden. The prizes you can get as a student are incredible...
    "Adobe CS3 Production Premium Student
    [...]
    Ordinarie pris ca:23 200 kr
    Studentpris ca: 3 200 kr"

But I really don't need the "premium" version. I only use photoshop anyway. And you can get that for 1800 SEK.

But I can't get it until I get back to my room at school where I keep the letter with the log in code that came with the student ID. So until then I need an alternative as the christmas holiday is the reason I really have time to work with my hobbies right now. I thought TIFF supported layers, but when I open it in gimp there are only one.

I had a photoshop version I had downloaded, but it had some copy protection that came into effect after a while that fixed so you could only open any file saved in photoshop with photoshop unless you activated photoshop on the net. So I removed it.

I can open up the PSD files in paint shop pro, with layers intact.
    If it's just for some little time, you can use a "try before you buy" version of PSP
    http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1152796555406

Or buy it, it's a cheap program....I use it all the time, only not for painting.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Paintful though it will probably be for you, you can export the layers individually as transparent PNGs or TIFFs, then import them individually back into Photoshop.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

One other thing - The latest version is 2.5.19. If you don't have it, definitely grab it from either the "check for updates" option in the help menu, or from the installer download page at www.artrage.com/artrageinstaller.html

We did make a change a couple of revisions back regarding layer names, as non-photoshop applications sometimes wouldn't support blank names for unnamed layers, wheras Photoshop would. Might not be the problem, but I thought I'd mention it just in case!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design