ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove the "tip message" option in Full screen?

Gallery
    View images

Remove the "tip message" option in Full screen?

The message "Right click or press Enter to show panels" annoys and distracts me very much. Could there be a future option to turn this off?

Other than this small request, I love AR2

Thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    +1
    I agree

grymmjack, I remember you from the eXT forum at KVR! 8)

Have you been using ArtRage for long?
    Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 for Music | Blender for 3D

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    +1
    I agree

grymmjack, I remember you from the eXT forum at KVR! 8)

Have you been using ArtRage for long?
    Nope, just bought it last month or so. But I'm already loving it. I have tried to achieve the same kind of 'rapid response' in photoshop, but either my machine is too slow or it's just not possible with the photoshop CS brush engine.

It's amazingly efficient and very fluid -- rival to painter classic which came with my wacom.

While I recall, one feature request would be a constant cursor size. Like in painter where it's the /\ triangle black or white with outline so that we can always see the brush cursor. I see an option for the "precise" cursors but nothing for "big honking" cursors

Gallery
    View images
    Hi grymmjack
    Fading out the 'Press Enter...' tip in full-screen is on the 'to do' list.
    I agree, it is distracting.
    We can look at other cursors as well.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Andy is going to ban me from the forums for this...

I just removed the "Press Enter" text by putting spaces in place of that message in the system.grf file with a hex editor.

It's not for the faint of heart - you could screw something up. If you are a techno-geek, you probably know how to do this, and if you are not, you probably don't want to try.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Oh no I'm not going to ban you for that!
    That's the sort of techno-geekery I do to all manner of things.
    Yes, you *do* need to be quite cautious when messing with hex editors in things like that.
    One of the things we've talked about here is the ability to open up the UI specs for our .grf format. While 90% of what people do with 'skinning' software is really awful - occasionally you get some really innovative things come out. It would also allow people to do other translations of the UI strings.

A *strong* word of warning, however...
    Editing the .grf file *will* prevent you being able to apply a patch to a later version. If you do mess with something like that, be very careful to keep a copy of the orginal file, so you can restore it to normal before trying to apply a patch.
    And of course Ambient Design can't take any responsibility for damage you cause to your machine, brain, or cat when you change any of our files.
    I suppose technically it violates your license agreement as well. Best you dont tell me if you do it...

Gallery
    View images
    Dang it! I never should have started to look in these files! I see things in there that I want access to!

What stands out here...
    AVCSAirBrushNew
    AVCChalkNew
    AVCEraserNew
    AVCGlitterGun
    AVCOilPaintNew
    AVCPaintRoller
    AVCSmudgeNew
    AVCPaletteKnifeNew
    AVCPencilNew
    AVCTubeNew

(Oh, and why not a AVCGlitterGunNew and AVCPaintRollerNew?! Be consistent! I'd yell at my programmers if they did that! Yes, I am in software development.)

And a little later, with a lot of control references, we see:
    AVCSwatchPane
    AVCColPick
    AVCFloatingColor <-- is this the movable paint mixer we all want?!

Now Andy will boot me from the forum!

Sorry to get your hopes up, but since I did not see a Crayon or a Marker, I am guessing that the Smudge tool could the Crayon and not the blender we all want. No idea about the markers, though. The Floating Color thing could be the Paper Color Picker.

Oh, BTW, if I really had (ahem) changed my file, I would have kept two copies of it for safety and to put thing back when I mess something up.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Ooo... you'll discover all my programming secrets if you keep digging.
    XXNew was for tools which we had to re-write to avoid a potiential code conflict. The naming convention ensured we wouldn't get confused with the earlier versions of the code.
    The PaintRoller and GlitterGun were added after the Great Rewrite of '05. (You have no idea how soul-destroying it is to toss out months of work and start it again from scratch, ensuring you do everything in a manner unlike your previous work.)

Now, I'm not going to be drawn into saying what is and isn't inside those files, so you can just stop fishing! 8)

Gallery
    View images
    I do know... A friend and I re-wrote an SFA (Sales Force Automation) application from scratch literally about six times in the early nineties. Technology was new and changing rapidly... monochrome laptops only, no Windows.

We figured out ways to trap keystrokes and built IU elements people take for granted today... like lists that skip to the first items that match what you type as you type. Had to do low-level keystroke trapping for that back then! If we figured out enough cool things, we'd end up re-writing the app to integrate them throughout and make it consistent.

I also stopped poking around... it's more fun to see what is coming as it comes!

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Hi grymmjack
    Fading out the 'Press Enter...' tip in full-screen is on the 'to do' list.
    I agree, it is distracting.
    We can look at other cursors as well.
    Awesome. That will make this program even better than it is now. I gotta commend you on the price point and the performance with tablets. It's amazing what you have achieved. I am very grateful.

One thing for the cursor modification; could you possibly use an inverse option too? Whereas black and white are great unless you happen to be painting on black and white, inverse would solve this problem.

The main issue I have is when using the pencil or other tools at a smaller size (about 10% or so) it's fine for the initial few strokes, but when you pause and then want to move to another area to continue to draw, it's difficult to locate /where/ the drawing will be because the cursor is tiny cross. On an 19" LCD flat panel at 1280x1024, and using a Wacom tablet sitting at a distance from the screen (I am fortunate enough to own a nice Intuos3 6x8 which has lots of buttons and 2 touch strips that affords me this distance from the keyboard), it becomes a real frustration very quickly.

Thanks for listening!