ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: First attempt of painting

1. First attempt of painting

This is a tracing of a photo I took this past summer. Tried to make it not look too much like a tracing....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The photo is your property and you get to decide how you use it. Tracing is a good way to familiarize yourself with the tools that ArtRage has to offer. This is a very worth first effort Mike. I hope you'll keep at it.

Really a beautiful piece. I love the boats and the water. Looks like a painting to me.

That sun ROCKS!!!! It's really bright!

Nice effect and color. Congrats.

5. another shot at it...

OK, after goofing off with the program, I had a better feel for layers, brush loading, thinner, etc., so I had to give it a second shot.

Obviously more detailed, but I think the part that improved the most is the tree silhouettes to the right.

curious for any feedback...

(the far shore doesn't feel quite "right" to me)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice rework, has a little smoother feel to it. The branches to the left are a nice touch. Maybe try pulling down some reflections with a low pressure knife on the far shore.

7. Thanks for the suggestion re: pulling down reflections with a light knife.

That helped a lot.

Nice job, that one is looking good. When you pull the reflections keep in mind where the sun is.
    Very Happy Owner of ArtRage Studio Pro!

I kinda like the first one because of the looseness. Feels more spontaneous, even though it admittedly was a trace.

The second one looks more fussed over and is losing its vision/intention.

I think it's a brilliant exercise, and it's yielding much as you diddle around trying to find what makes the parts look the way they do in the photo. And I admire that you have been pushing and painting to see what would happen if you did this and that. It's like I can track your mind as you analyzed the photo's components by zeroing in on a section.

I like the first one because it flows in a non-photographic way. The thing about taking a photographic direction is that when one doesn't end up looking photographic, it could well look wrong.

And the first one doesn't try to follow the rules and has a gestural quality, and it also has a variety in the marks. And I don't hold it up to the photographic standard. I look at it more like a painted sketch. However, I could see you developing a more polished look that continues in that direction and it would be pretty sensational.

So keep doing as you have been doing and acquire the visual sensibilities that you can from these processes. Then you can apply them in later paintings from the beginning.

Very nice work. And I wish I was there. Looks like the kind of place I would really enjoy being.