Thread: First shot at painting

Gallery
    View images

First shot at painting

Hey everyone this is my very first attempt at painting ever. For years I have loved fantasy art, Frazzeta, Vallejo, Jusko, and have always wanted to try it myself but my inability to draw has always kept me from pursuing it. So flash forward to last nite, a download of artrage and a day off from work as produced this.

I'm not sure what to think of this so far, if I'm heading in the right direction or just making a mess? What can you guys say about what I have done thus far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conan_201.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	12722  

Gallery
    View images
    Looks like all those years of sitting on the sidelines and observing have served you well. This is pretty impressive! Keep going for definate sure and welcome to here.

Looking good so far, keep going. Cant wait to see more.
    Very Happy Owner of ArtRage Studio Pro!

Gallery
    View images
    The drawing is amazing. Might want to try to keep the chiseled quality in the color and strokes as well.

Cheers!

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you guys, I have been racking my brain as to how I came across the image, I am a Conan fanatic and have a hard drive full of conan images.

I did a little more work on him today, started using the airbrush tool. Airbrush is another thing I have always wanted to get into its nice to experiment lol.

I agree with you D Akey, but I am having trouble getting that chisled defined muscular look. I am going to google image some bodybuilders and study the muscular definition. Something tells me painting a basically nude muscular figure wasn't exactly the wisest move as a first painting, but I'm having a blast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conan_196.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	12746  

Gallery
    View images
    Simply go for it. For a first attempt at drawing, I can only guess where you will go as you gain confidence in your abilities. Great start.

Gallery
    View images
    I Really like your sketching, very good base, shame to cover it up really, as D Akey says, it has a quality that doesnt want to be smoothed out and lost.... keep going but try to keep some of your pencil strokes by using finecolour pencil instead of oil paint perhaps?, leave that up to you, keep going its a great start.(dont forget to turn the grain off on your paper)........ Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by horrormike
    Thank you guys, I have been racking my brain as to how I came across the image, I am a Conan fanatic and have a hard drive full of conan images.
    Hi horrormike,

I'm a huge Conan fan myself and love the whole fantasy world that surrounds the character. I believe that the drawing you are using as the basis for your painting experiment was created by Alex Smith.

I agree with the others about making the muscles of the figure more chiseled, as the drawing certainly has a very angular feeling to it. I'm no expert in using ArtRage though, so the best advice I can give you is to try using more direct strokes with the paintbrush tool with less blending.

As a "First shot" at painting, you certainly aren't making me feel good about my first accomplishments, lol.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.