Thread: Need explanation of resolution, size, and inclusion in PDF

Gallery
    View images

Need explanation of resolution, size, and inclusion in PDF

I am writing a third-party user guide for a desktop publishing application. Instead of the usual geometrically precise, hard-edged diagrams, I am experimenting with freehand drawings done in ArtRage to give a software more friendly look.

It's a steep learning curve as I am used to vector graphics applications with line, shape, etc. tools, and fill and outline settings. :shock:

So can someone help with the following:

+ how can I display a grid to measure/guide my largely geometrical shape drawing?

+ i will output to PDF with the intention of a printing putting it on a press with 150 to 175 dpi halftone screen. What resolution should i use. I want the grain in the pencil and crayon lines to show but when I size the canvas and make the dpi about 1200, the drawing gets very small.

+ most of my sketches will be about 25 x 30 mm in the final printed book. What canvas size and resolution should i set?

This is my first day of using ArtRage, so be kind. I searched everywhere for the info in all the forums and also in the rather skimpy manual but couldn't find anything.

Gallery
    View images
    + how can I display a grid to measure/guide my largely geometrical shape drawing?

If you have one, can download one, scan one, or draw one,
    then use layers in Artrage.
    If it is a png file it will allow you to see threw it.
    Make several layers and put it on the top.
    You can always delete it.

As to your other questions experiment a few times with the DPI setting and the size.

If you try two sizes, and measure how much they changed you should be able to calculate how much more you need to resize to get it to the size you want. Artrage basically uses a 4/3 ratio output format.
    Artrage size does set to mm. 25.05 w = 32.10 h
    While in rescale painting, highlight the height or width, and type in a size then click on the opposite setting width or height and artrage will find it for you.

I hope that helps.
    If something I said is not clear feel free to sent me a private message and I will see it sooner than I would a general message here. I don't have a lot of answers but I will share any I do have. Some might even be right!

Gallery
    View images

Re: Need explanation of resolution, size, and inclusion in P

EB:

Thanks for the advice. I figure to scan a grid in as you advise. Is it possible to place the grid on a lower layer and look through the layer above as you paint/draw?

I must be dumb about resolution. If I use 72 or 96 dpi, then embed the graphic file -- probably PNG -- in a PDF, the PDF resolution will take care of getting best screening for print.

Is it possible to paint on a transparent background, e.g. like painting on glass or a cel?

Regards,
    Hedley

Gallery
    View images
    A solid white background when making a png file is the tranparent part of the file. The white does not show, when the file is wrote the white is used as the area as a transparency, not the color white. (the cell or glass effect)
    When the png file is made the white is shown as a checkerboard area when viewed directly, that does not show up when printed or used.

So any painted background not covering the clear "solid white" part will be the only paint showing when you use a png file. Artrage white background is not solid white, so I don't use it generally to make png files other than to make stencils in artrage.

I use a freeware program called imageforge because it has a color replace
    function. It also reduces the number of colors. I reduce the colors to 3 or more. (2 doesn't give a good pic the first time) then I replace the colors remaining with solid white or black until I have just two colors. Then I save it in a png file. I think Coral also has that function, I don't know about photoshop.

Yes you can use a grid at any layer level but when you put paint on or above it, it covers up.
    Each layer level of art rage acts like a piece of stacked clear flim.
    click on any layer and it is the one active.
    (you can paint on any layer you like even if you don't ever use the base white layer.) You can click and drag layers to rearrange them.
    A solid painting on any level blocks a view of all layers below that area. It does not block the texture, so importing a solid layer can block your view of what is below. Any layer is transparent when first opened.
    It also has a layer setting that starts at 100%, path/ add layers, triangle icon, opacity click in the field and you can move the setting to make that level more transparent if one needs to when that layer is painted solid
    The eye icon on the add layer tool box allows that whole layer to become transparent to view below it when clicked. Re-click and it will come back.

Try this load your grid as a layer,(import layer) then make a stencil from it and save it as a stencil.
    Then delete the original grid. Your new stencil grid can be re-sized and painted anywhere you like any time you like. you can also open several grids at a time.
    Or paint it on a layer and export it, then you can also use that file by importing and never have to re-paint it.
    (I assuming your original scanned grid is not transparent and this will make it so.)

Also if one uses layers instead of the white base then merges to layer below avoiding the white base and exports layer then one can take the white base out of play and get a transparent background png to reuse.

Hope that helps.