ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Help? Crayon vs Chalk?

Gallery
    View images

Help? Crayon vs Chalk?

Not sure if this is a technical or general discussion topic but here goes. Could someone show me the difference of results you get with the crayon tool versus using the chalk? I know there is the softness setting on the crayon, but I don't seem to get much out of that. Is there some property of the crayon that I'm missing that can be used when acted upon by other tools? I hardly ever reach for a crayon in AR but I use the chalk constantly. It makes me wonder sometimes (as they seem so similar to me) if it is really necessary to have both or if you could get to the same setting for chalk by dialing the crayon. I'm a little lost here.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    I found a difference!

The background is a rollered grain, nothing specific just grunge green.

The top orangey mark is Crayon,
    The lower one reddish one is Chalk.

They were made with the same paint colour!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Technical bits: The chalk adds a slight random variation to the hue of the applied colour (and also to the reflectivity if its metalic) to make it feel vaguely dusty.
    The crayon's softness setting affect its opacity (hard crayons tend to be more transparent), its lumpiness (soft crayons 'blob' a bit more onto the paper), and how much it smears existing colour when you're using softer pressure (hard crayons smear further and more uniformly than soft crayons).

This is a typical example of how ArtRage hides many parameters behind one control. While we could expose all those parameters for the crayon, only a very few combinations of settings would produce useful tools. And it would have to be the right combinations of all those settings.
    While I'll admit we might well be missing some really interesting tool abilities by not allowing you to explore all those combinations, we are instead providing (what we consider to be) a tool that is useful and realistic through the whole range of its 'softness' setting.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    hiya heres my version of what i get

the background is a huge texture scaled up to 100%

the left 'blue' is chalk100% size 32% pressure and the right is crayon 100% size 32%pressure softness 100% the smears at the end of the blue pallet knife on 100%pressure

when its lts like this i like how the crayon dosent go into the grain so much and skips over a bit more

the red is wet paint and then drawn over with chalk and crayon respectivly and same as Aged p got i got variation in colour with the crayon and i like that for a lot of things

in the second one chalkvcraon002 on the wet paint I kept scrubbing at the paint and that chalk goes into it after a bit and makes a solidish blue,the crayon stays ontop and misses the divits in the texture and get more and more interestingly coloured the more i scrub it.

Selby
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks to all of you for the explainations and examples. I'm definately not one to want tools thrown out. I'm going to have to make a point of playing with the crayon more than I have been. I'll post my experiments. Again Thanks.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM