ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing the way I illustrate

Gallery
    View images

changing the way I illustrate

Anyone else feel that Art Rage is changing the way they approach illustration?

with other apps, I'm sort of in "Construction" mode..I build my illustrations.
    ArtRage seems more organic..lets me be comfortable with a looser style of working with shapes and color..

archer

Gallery
    View images
    I think what I've found with ArtRage is that the app doesn't force me into a certain "process". I can work as if I am working with real media rather than fit into some step by step method other drawing/illustration/rendering apps.

Could this be why you feel as though other apps force you to be in "Construction Mode".

Gallery
    View images
    I guess what I feel from some of those other apps is that the computer process intrudes too much on the artistic process.

maybe sometimes, since certain tools are available, they become the lazy way out, even though you can do high quality work WITH those tools.

but the procedures used are as much a part of the message as the actual deliberate art work..in some computer apps.

archer

Gallery
    View images
    It has completely changed my work paradigm, for finished digital work, storyboarding, comps for acrylic paintings and on and on.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    I agree with all the above, I have had an interest in learning to paint and draw for some years but never took the time.

I was either too busy or didnt have the room. With artrage I can work anywhere on my laptop and it feels "real" to me.

Well what I think it would be like to paint anyway. What I like is if you mess up or dont like something you can scrap it and start over having not wasted canvas and paint.

I have used photoshop and others and artrage is way better.

Now I am saving up to get a tablet...

Alan 8)

Gallery
    View images
    Of all the paint programs it closely fits on how I creat illustrations on my studio drawing board. When using the felt pen tool to make lines I really depend on the rotate tool. Also the airbrush tool has the best controls for a airbrush tool. All the others seem to make me feel as though I am using a regular spray can like making grafitti. The taper and tilt gives me the control I need. I agree with Archer and Bcmillustrator: when I use PhotoShop to make illustrations, that process does turn to more of a "contruction" process than a painting process.

Gallery
    View images
    no, artrage works the way i worked before in photoshop, just gets rid of all the crap that i don't need for digital painting and gives me lovely painting tools instead.

i'm very much a fan of the one layer, no undo approach, and while artrage full gives me layers, i've very rarely found a use for them other than for drying the paint... i think i'd prefer a hairdryer tool actually.
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

Gallery
    View images
    Wow!

Everthing on one layer.

I never thought about doing that. That means for me working in a reverse mode. The base colors, then blend, and finally the ink lines about that.

You mentioned you do not use the undo feature but do you use the erase tool when you paint or paint over what you do not need.

I am afraid I am guilty of using all of the above.

:

Gallery
    View images
    no i don't use the eraser either, if there's something i don't like i'll paint over it or use the palette knife to move it to where i want it, but in my work i don't use lines, if i did i'd have them on their own layer

but that's just how i work, there's no one way that's better or worse, different methods suit different styles

for some reason i like to limit myself, i find using one layer makes me feel more free. when i use layers i tend to associate a layer with an object, but when only using one layer there is no division between things, it's just one painting, covered in paint ^_^
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

Gallery
    View images
    Hmm! I need to that on a particular drawing next. I always believed that working in a layer method makes it more of a mechanical method.

But you are right on how different artist use the program differently. I been meaning to ask the ArtRage people to who the program is designed for. The person who is more of a artist than a designer or the designer who like to have output with more of the creative process. (Note: For ArtRage Pro) I have created more artwork but I been switching between putting the stuff together in PhotoShop and ArtRage. I ahve not put them in the gallery cause I want to put up art done completely in ArtRage.