ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Entry level Wacom Tablet?

Gallery
    View images

Entry level Wacom Tablet?

I want to buy an entry-level Wacom tablet from Amazon.co.jp, but I don't know which one to get! there seem to be a few types.

The Intuos' tend to have good reviews, but recently these new "Bamboo" ones have been released, and they're a lot cheaper. However, I'm concerned about tablet size.

Can anyone give me some advice on this? I'm wanting to use it for digital painting.

Gallery
    View images
    I use an Intuos 3, at home and at work, that is 6x8, it works great. I also have an old Graphire that is that size (maybe smaller?) that also works great. The Bamboo sounds like the equivalent to the old Graphire capabilities-wise. Coincidentally, I just ordered a Bamboo for when I travel for work (the Intuos 3 is a bit big and heavy).

John
    =======================
    John R. Nyquist
    Nyquist Art + Logic
    http://nyquist.net/
    =======================

Gallery
    View images
    Intuos3 is way too expensive for me (I sold some of my paintings to get the money). I thought it's for the experts, isn't it?
    I would suggest you to buy Wacom Favo640 8x6. It has a nice shape and good quality, with 512 pressure levels but it's fair enough for the beginner. The most important, it is cheap. I used it for 2 years before I got my Intuos3.

But if you think about it... why not just buy the best one since you will buy it anyway later on as your skill improves?

Gallery
    View images
    I guess basically I was wanting to know, are there any models to avoid?

Gallery
    View images
    Avoid the small ones... you need (I think) at least a 6x8 tablet.
    Maybe also avoid Cintiq?... that's way too good.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by gb_whisper
    Avoid the small ones... you need (I think) at least a 6x8 tablet.
    Maybe also avoid Cintiq?... that's way too good.
    No, not really-size of the tablet is purely personal preference and cost. Some people like a small tablet because they don't want the large amount of stroke movement. Others want a large tablet to more closely imitate the real painting/drawing experience.

In the end, it's whatever works.

Why avoid a Cintiq? If you can afford one of course! :wink: