ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artrage Pencil Tool vs Sketchbook Pro Pencil.

Gallery
    View images

Artrage Pencil Tool vs Sketchbook Pro Pencil.

The pencil tool in Alias' Sketchbook pro is the only real reason I use the program. It is by far the most natural sketching program. I think it has to do with the automatic tapering of the stroke. Even if you are using a mouse it sort of fakes pen pressure sensitivity, because it will taper off based on the speed of the input tool across the canvas, as well as the amount of pressure. I've never seen any other program do it, and it makes it a really good program for sketching. If you guys could figure out how they do it and incorporate it into your program I'd have no reason to use any other program.

Gallery
    View images
    I know what you mean.
    I also use Alias sketckbook sinply just for that. (pencil work)
    It would be gr8 if Artrage could simulate that.
    Cosmicfxx

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!! I also use SketchBook Pro for JUST that reason!!! That pencil tool is amazing!!!! I PRAY that ArtRage figures this out!!!
    Todd P. Dolce

Gallery
    View images
    I've never used Sketchbook, but it would be extremely nice if Artrage pencil would:

- recognize and react to stylus tilt from Wacom tablet
    - have non-incremental effect inside stroke (like real pencil, color doesn't pile up unless more pressure is used - this is same to typical Photoshop brush action)
    - react to stylus speed by tapering the ends (and maybe other speed-related effects like that)

Gallery
    View images
    - have non-incremental effect inside stroke (like real pencil, color doesn't pile up unless more pressure is used - this is same to typical Photoshop brush action)
    - react to stylus speed by tapering the ends (and maybe other speed-related effects like that)
    Yeah thats what the alias sketchbook pro tool does, hope they get the pencil tool down like that in the next versions of artrage..

snoopbaron Guest
    I agree, but I would add that in addition to the improved sketchbook pro quality or better rendering the cursor should be exact not more precise but exact so that the exact center of the cursor is always the origin point for a lines drawn with the pencil. This is how it is in all other drawing tools I have tried and it's important. I can accept the lack of exact cursor in other more complex drawing tools like the fancy brushes but I want my basic pencil to be very accurate.

7. In addition to what has been mentioned here, I would like to see the following additions to the pencil tool:

1. The "pattern" that the pencil tool puts down is exactly that...a pattern. It is too uniform and not like real pencil lead. In fact, there are some white areas in the pattern that you can't fill in even with repeated strokes.

2. This actually goes for all of the tools. The ability to hide the cursor for us Cintiq / Tablet computer users. For me, the cursor becomes very distracting.

Otherwise, I love the simplicity of the program, especially its interface.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by cinemachine
    In addition to what has been mentioned here, I would like to see the following additions to the pencil tool:

1. The "pattern" that the pencil tool puts down is exactly that...a pattern. It is too uniform and not like real pencil lead. In fact, there are some white areas in the pattern that you can't fill in even with repeated strokes.
    The pattern the pencil tool uses is the paper texture. You can load any image to use as paper texture, or turn off the paper roughness completely in the paper settings dialog for each layer.
    In addition the 'precise pencil' mode works more like a digital pencil - it doesn't interact with the paper texture at all and gives a more precise stroke, like an engineering pencil.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

9. Thanks Andy.

If if it is the paper that is causing the "Pattern," it's still problematic IMHO. You should be able to fill in the "white" areas with repeated strokes instead of just having the dark areas get darker.

A real pencil actually affects the lead that has already been put down, not just by darkening it, but by smudging it slightly as well. I haven't found a tool pencil in any package that works like a real pencil and can always tell the difference when compared to traditional media (disclaimer: I've never used Sketchbook Pro but from what I've seen, it also looks very digital to me). I suppose replicating pencil lead must be one of the hardest natural media tools to pull off. Even oil paint seems to be much more realistic.

Please keep trying though, as I'd like to see this package somehow get stronger and stronger while simultaneously not becoming bloated and memory hungry. I know that's a fine line to walk and appreciate your efforts.

Gallery
    View images
    In addition the 'precise pencil' mode works more like a digital pencil - it doesn't interact with the paper texture at all and gives a more precise stroke, like an engineering pencil.

Hi Andy

When you talk about 'precise pencil' , do you mean when one selects the pencil tool, but then also selects "Precise Tablet Mode" ( from the edit>Preferences menu)?

If this is correct, I did this but found no difference. The pencil still interacted with the "paper texture", and left gaps as I drew.

Thanks
    Cosmic
    Cosmicfxx