Thread: How to go about coloring line art

Gallery
    View images

How to go about coloring line art

Hi everyone, I work mainly in a comic book style with separate layers for line art and color and I've been trying to find a way in Art Rage to easily color in the black line art. One way I found is to put a line colors layer over the black lines layer and apply the screen blend mode to the top one, but then that blend mode is also applied to the color layer and anything else under the lines. Is there any way to make a blend mode only apply to the layer directly underneath it or does anyone else have a method for an easy way to do this?
    I'm the dude that sucks
    Plus I got depression

Gallery
    View images
    colour layers on top (multiply)
    line colour in the middle (screen) *doesn't affect the colour layers above
    line art underneath (normal).

have a try

Gallery
    View images
    That works as long as the coloring never overlaps the line art, but if line color and regular color overlap, the multiply filter makes them look weird. I guess it might just be easier to export it and do it in photoshop.
    I'm the dude that sucks
    Plus I got depression

Gallery
    View images
    What tool are you using to apply the colour? If you're using something that has volume on the canvas (like oils) the volume will interact with the lines below.

There's no way in ArtRage to have a layer blend specifically on to only one other layer. Could you post a screenshot of the problem you get when the colour overlaps the line art? I'm not completely clear on what's happening.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Ok, I can't post anything with urls so I put it on my website which is, let me see if I can do this, www(dot)muskratwaltz(dot)com/ar.html
    I'm the dude that sucks
    Plus I got depression

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the images, that made it really clear. I know what you're wanting to do, and I know that you'd do it in PS by linking the layers, but ArtRage can't do that.

There's no rapid way to do this using layer blend modes, but you could try this:

The problem is how to turn your black line art in to coloured line art. So, when you have painted all the colour underneath, select your black line art layer and from its Layer menu select 'Make A Stencil From This Layer'.

This will make a stencil that masks out the areas that don't have line art in. Now add a new layer and paint your coloured lines on to that, using the stencil to guide you. You can then hide or delete the black line art layer. I suggest using a new layer for it so that you don't get black blending in with the colour you want to apply at the edges of the lines.

It's not as fast as Layer Linking but it should do the job.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    I hadn't thought about that, but that's a really good idea. Thanks for everyone's help!
    I'm the dude that sucks
    Plus I got depression

Gallery
    View images
    That's a good idea !
    AB
    kiva.org
    How you can help people living in developing countries