ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 300 dpi illustration [how?]

Gallery
    View images

300 dpi illustration [how?]

ArtRage it's an awesome piece of software without doubts but I've a little trouble and not sure if I'm doing something wrong, if there's a solution for this or if ArtRage wasn't made to do this ... Oh yes! I'm talking about working for print, not for screen, for example:
    How to work in an A3 Size at 300 dpi. with ArtRage?
    Is this possible without troubles? How?

Thx in advance!

Note: I know there's similar threads here but I'm trying to know if other illustrators are using artrage to produce some art for print in paper mags and how?

Gallery
    View images
    How difficult can it be?

Why did'nt you tried yourself?

Just import the image.

I had no problem with it.

Changing to 200 ppi would still be good for printing.

Johan

Gallery
    View images
    just multiply the size you want by the dpi you want and create your image at that many pixels. eg if you want a 12 x 10" image at 300dpi,
    300 x 12 = 3600, 300 x 10 = 3000 so you'd make the image 3600x3000 pixels
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

Gallery
    View images
    thesleepless is correct. However, you may want to read the following topic as well. In it, Andy points out the size at which drawings start to become sluggish.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=1015

Also, depending on the quality of the printing, you may not need to match the full resolution of the printer. Some scaling may be possible without the image looking poor.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks a ton to all the responses.
    Anyway, as I suspected, there's no way to work in a comfortable way with ArtRage at big size/resolution.
    Of course I've tried to import a blank document created in Photoshop (an A4 at 300 dpi.) and my PC was under an eartquake! (and no, I don't have a commodore 64!!! ;-) ).
    I luv this program and hope this kind of details will be improved in a near future!

Gallery
    View images
    All illustration software has at least one thing in common - The bigger the image, the better/faster equipment you need.

You didn't write the specs of your computer, but I can easily push a A4-300dpi size image in AR at home.
    I have a hyperthreaded P4 2.8Ghz, 1gig DDR3200 Ram and a fast agp gfxcard. Im betting that doubling my ram size will allow me to go even higher. And this machine is far from being stellar.

Now, there are some very obvious things you can do to optimize your computer to handle huge memeory intensive images like an A4-300dpi.

First thing you want to make sure is that you have plenty of ram.

Ofcourse, a fast CPU can help calculate those huge brushes you will be using in a large image, so you want to make sure you have that too.

And there are other parts that can be optimized too. Basically - Get as fast a computer as you can.

Gallery
    View images
    Note that having lots of virtual memory can help open larger documents as well. It can be a bit convoluted to set up...
    (On Windows, open Control Panel. Select 'System', Go to the 'Advanced' tab, in the Performance frame click the 'Settings' button, in the Performance Options pane click the 'Advanced' tab, down at the Virtual Memory frame check you have at least 2048 MB or virtual memory. Click the 'Change' button if you need to. From the Virtual Memory panel, select a drive where you have lots of space, click custom size, type 2048 in the 'initial' setting, and 4096 in the maximum. Click the 'Set' button, then click 'Ok', click 'Ok', click 'Ok', and close the Control Panel)
    Blimey. That's a LOT of steps!
    I'm not certain about OSX - anybody?

Really, just adding more physical memory is the best way to improve performance if you want to work on bigger documents. RAM is cheap.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"