ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Automatic Update Freezes Artrage

Gallery
    View images

Automatic Update Freezes Artrage

Over the last few days I am experiencing an annoying problem. It only occurs after the program has run the Automatic Update checker. Program starts normally, the Automatic Updater kicks in and then, when no updates are found, all works fine except that I can no longer paint/draw anything for at least 5 minutes. Upon left-clicking my mouse, the canvas moves as if I was right-clicking it. Additionally, I have noticed that the precision-cursor I usually have selected is gone to the normal cursor and that the "Recent Files" -list is empty (despite having worked with the programs hours earlier that same day). Turning Auto Update off and re-starting the program does not work either as Auto Update does start up.

As said, this last for about 5 minutes and then everything is back to normal again.

I use a licensed version of Artrage 2.5.19 on a P4 1800 (with a spanish XP). Problems have started since the last update.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Harry,

That's certainly a strang behavior, not one I can reproduce here on my XP machine. I'm guessing that either there is a problem with your ArtRage settings file being damaged, or an unusual interaction with some other process there. Here's a couple of things I'd recommend trying, in order to work out what's going on there:

1/ Try a clean reinstall after removing the settings file: Download the current installer from www.artrage.com/artrageinstaller.html just to be on the safe side. Remove your current version of ArtRage and remove the artrage.prs file from your C:\Documents and Settings\<your login>\Application Data\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2 folder. If you haven't saved anything in this folder you can go ahead and delete it.

Now install ArtRage from the installer you just downloaded and see if you still get the same behavior.

2/ Check to see if there is an interaction with another program on your computer: There's a possibility that firewall or other software may be interacting with ArtRage when it goes to check for updates. Try starting up Windows, closing down any background programs, especially things like virus checkers, firewall programs, then start up ArtRage and check for updates. See if the problem still occurs. Note: This isn't a fix for the problem, but if it works in that situation you'll be able to eliminate what program relates to the problem and we can look at it in more depth with you.

Let me know how you get on, I hope this sheds some light on things!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    I think I might have found the problem as I am experiencing loads of other non-ArtRaged related problems since I recently installed a new video-card, a GeForce 7600GS. It looks like my motherboard (> 4 years old) is not fully compatible with this latest video-card which 7 out of 10 times causes XP to crash on start-up. Sadly, as no updates are available for the BIOS, I'll have to get myself a new motherboard

The ArtRage problems I described above might have been caused by loading an older (pre-ArtRage 2.5) XP configuration.

If problems persist once I have gotten myself a new motherboard, I'll post here again :-). In the meantime, thanks for your help!

Regards,

Harry

Gallery
    View images
    No problem, Harry! Sorry to hear about the motherboard though!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design