ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Exporting from AR to image file.

Exporting from AR to image file.

Probably just about everybody on here already knows this, but for newbies like me, perhaps this will be of some benefit.

I found that sometimes when I export from AR to an image file, I get some unwanted (for lack of a better word) rough edges where there is a definite color change.

What has worked for me the last few times I've tried it, is to just right click on the painting in AR, so that you get a full screen view, then do a screen capture by hitting "print screen" (not sure how Mac users would do the same).
    Then open up the graphics program of your choice, paste, and you should have a clean image.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi Barnburner,
    You definitely shouldn't be getting rough different-coloured edges when you export to an image from ArtRage.
    Are you exporting a single layer, or exporting the entire painting (from the 'File' menu)?
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Exporting the entire painting from the file menu.

I'm not sure I described the effect properly. Maybe "noise" or "some sort of shadow" would be a better description than "rough edged".

Mainly it will show up where there is a very distinct difference, as in around tree branches, where mountain tops meet sky, etc..

It will be fine in AR, but when I use the file command to export to image, I sometimes have to use the clone tool of a graphics program to clean it up.
    But, the good news is that so far at least, the workaround I explained seems to have taken care of it.

Ah, it's probably JPG artifacts.
    We use quite a high compression when exporting as JPG images, to make it easier to post on the web. But that can leave 'blocky' artifacts around high-contrast areas.
    Try exporting from ArtRage as a PNG instead - it should give a much better-quality image. But you'll still need to convert it to JPG in another application if you want to post it to the forum here.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I'll give png a try. thanks.