ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: DesignRage PLEASE!!!!!

Gallery
    View images

DesignRage PLEASE!!!!!

Hi Dev team,

I have bought Artrage 1.2 a few months ago. Used it for 10 minutes and dropped it for being not usable.

I then got the Artrage 2.0 upgrade. a lot of good features that I was really missing in Sketchbook Pro. Also teh UI is fluid and very well thought out. You guys have done a tremendous job here! ...But after a day of usage I could not stand the lack of speed. There is only one workflow to drawing: REALTIME drawing.

Then recently I have made a complete switch from Windows XP to Mac OSX so I bought another copy of Artrage for Mac to see if this can grow on me. Otherwise I'd have to use Sketchbook Pro for Windows via Fusion virtualization (not fun).

The instability kills me, this thing crashes all the time. Also the lack of speed is a show-stopper.

I want to save, make new layers, merge layers, open files all in real time. Just like in sketchbook pro. I have read here that such comparison is not fair because blend models, wet paper, feature, x, feature, y, blah, blah, blah. All that extra development is useless from a user point of view if your software is not realtime.

Then I see the post about people asking for more features, more features, more features.

My suggestion to you is: keep making Artrage as a feature-fest painting-party software.

But please make also DesignRage: a software with just white paper, and one simple criteria for feature integration: It has to pass the realtime test. No feature in a DRAWING software is good enough to slowing me from the simple act of drawing. Your benchmark should be pen and paper, not photoshop+painter+illustrator. BTW, if such software needs to cost $250 instead of $25 I'll be happy to buy a few copies for my team. And I'm sure many thousands of industrial/graphic designers, architects, illustrators, etc will too.

The features priorities that I see are:

MUST:
    layers
    PSD compatibility
    Transform tools
    Fill tools
    pencil/pen/airbrush
    Lasso selection (to copy or transform JUST a selection from a layer)

Nice to Have:
    Canvas rotation/ flip
    Layer multiply modes
    Stencils
    Grid

Totally Unnecessary:
    oil/canvas texture/rollers and all the artsy stuff

I really think that now that Autodesk is neglecting SketchbookPro you have a real chance to create a compelling product for a market that is serious about its tools and it's got teh money to pay for a software that meets a need that is not being fully resolved right now.

Best Regards,

Gustavo

PS: feel free to email me if you have any questions or want me to test a de-featured version of Artrage that can let us do this.

Gallery
    View images
    In ArtRage 2.5, press <F5> to turn off the lighting model. Then select the pencil tool, and set the 'Precise' option to on.

If you're running ArtRage under MacOSX, make sure you have the latest (2.5.19) build as it addresses some instability issues on OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    In ArtRage 2.5, press <F5> to turn off the lighting model. Then select the pencil tool, and set the 'Precise' option to on.
    That's a good tip!

For what it's worth, I love the elegant, simple interface. I'm not sure where ArtRage plans to go, but so far, so good. As for stability, I use it on Windows, and it is very stable. The older I get, the more I appreciate stability in software
    =======================
    John R. Nyquist
    Nyquist Art + Logic
    http://nyquist.net/
    =======================

Gallery
    View images
    After reading that tip on the Pencil (no pun intended), I decided to give it a try with a sketch. So I sketched a picture of Garfield laughing, I did it by eye from a book my boy is reading. Not high art, but it was fun and the pencil worked smoothly!

=======================
    John R. Nyquist
    Nyquist Art + Logic
    http://nyquist.net/
    =======================

Gallery
    View images
    As a designer I agree with gustojunk about the design features and speed especially the airbrush. the pencil works fine here and I've not touched sketchbook pro since I got artRage even though I miss some features like presets for pens and markers that look like real markers.

I also totally agree with gustojunk! You speak out of my heart!

Make it realtime, enable bigger brushes and I would love a slim but fast DesignRage!