ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Large import files..sloow

Large import files..sloow

I tried importing a large file 3400x5100 PPI so that I can paint over top of it.it can be done but things are very slow( brush responsiveness) and adding more layers well.. Working on a AR file that big with no main PS layer works great though so it doesn't have anything to do with AR not be able to handle large canvases. Will AR improve it handling of large import files or is the best way to handle such things is to import a smaller tracing image and recreate later in PS?

thanks

We're definitely working to improve the 'large document' support in ArtRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Andy, out of curiosity, do you have your own interpretation of what a "large" drawing is?

Obviously, the CPU and memory of each user's machine affects what is manageably, but you may have a sense that images of x*y will tend to bog the application down some.

D.

Above about 3000 x 2000 you're likely to get bogged down. Layers are currently horribly inefficient as well.
    But really, it depends on your machine, your memory, your swapfiles.

very good to know Andy..thanks

.FWIW..I have 6.5 gigs of ram..with a Quad G5..and it is very slow

First, thanks Andy.

Second, you mention swap files. How does ArtRage manage its swapfiles? I have never noticed a setting to designate a drive, for example. If this is set-able (new word), are there recommendations (like don't use the same drive as the Windows swapfile, for example)?

I am not at a machine with AR on it now (gasp!), so I can't poke around.

Thanks again,
    David

For swapfiles, I mean normal Windows or OSX virtual memory.
    Additionally we use temporary files as part of the 'undo' system. The longer you paint, the more disk space is taken up with 'undo'.
    This is on your usual TEMP folder drive, and those files are removed when you exit ArtRage or start a new project.

I test program and made w5000 pixel 9:16 image ratio canvas and using few layers. Works but it take time. Ar2 file size was over 150 000kb. File size is quite big when use big canvas. But i think that it need to be so big because when use many layers. If dont work fast, be patient, dont change layers place too fast, then it works.

Live, Love Do it Peace.