ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Background painting technique

Gallery
    View images

Background painting technique

I am trying to create a smooth transition between the colours in a background and struggling. I am posting a couple of screen captures to show the current state of play. This is the best I have done so far after deleting other efforts.

The first is my efforts to get close to the second.

I tried plastering a whole layer with different shades using the oil brush and then blending with the palette knife. I made an awful mess! It was too streaky.

Next up, I have tried the roller, airbrush, lighter oil settings, lighter and heavier palette knife settings.

Lighter oil settings and heavier palette knife is the closest I have come and is demonstrated in the first image but there are still noticeable holes.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Sophie
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gallery
    View images
    I'm not sure I'm completely clear on what you're trying to achieve but something you may want to consider is that once you export a file and then import it, the tools and settings you used become irrelevant and you can blend it further from there. Hope that made sense.

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you Robert for answering this.

What I am trying to do is sort of mimic the second image (which is part of a photograph) for smoothness of transition between colours. The first image is my efforts to blend colours more effectively and so far not succeeding.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Sophie

Gallery
    View images
    Suggested reading...

erwinsoo's excelent tutorial on blending:
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=9228

Enchanters interesting post on paper-roughness blending:
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=5799

Peter has some interesting tricks on creating smooth via resize:
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=8962

A quick writeup on creating gradients using transparency stencils.
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=9822

On a personal note, I find that using paper with 0-roughness combined with crayons is a good method.

DoodLS

Gallery
    View images
    The 0-roughness method is from Sweedies sky tutorial (but it seems to be offline at the moment).

0. Start new image. I choose canvas, 300x400 pixels. Set background color to gray.
    1. Add layer. Edit paper setting for new layer. Set roughness to 0%.
    2. Select crayon tool (the one just left of the eraser tool). Reset. Set tool size to 100%.
    3. Add desired colours to your painting. I Alt+Click picked the colours from your example, but you may just use the bot-right color picker (dump01+dump02).
    4. When canvas have been filled I change Pressure to 20% and toolsize to 50%. The trick now is to smooth all the places where colours meet. Where two colours meet you simply Alt+click pick the lightest one. Then smooth to make the transition by going back and foth in z-patterns. Hard to describe - try it out, experiment.

Now I go over the entire painting untill it's finished (dump03). You may try to go up/down in pressure. But the trick is to simply Alt+Click pick. z-smooth. Next area. Alt+Click pick, z-smooth. and so forth.

In my final image I have two layers. The top layer is the smoothed transition. The bottom layer is just a gray layer with the canvas-texture.

Happy,
    DoodLS
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Gallery
    View images
    DoodLS, you are a peach!

Thanks so much for all this - very much appreciated. I may have to wait till the weekend before I get the chance to try this out. But I feel more confident of a positive result now. I didn't do very much with crayon, just brush, palette knife and roller mainly.

Sophie

Gallery
    View images
    I'm a pretty new artist myself, but I found that the pencil tool is nice for this kind of thing. they blend well. kind of hard to see from the thumbnail, but that's what I used for the background in my avatar. started with yellow, then gradually moved the slider to orange (little by little) then to a red-orange. Over-lapped each change in color a bit before blending them together with the palette knife. Different texture than oils or crayons to be sure, but I like it Can find the full-sized pic in my gallery if you need it. All done in a single-layer. Best of luck!

(Edit: changed "portrait" to "avatar.")

(Edit #2: I'll post my own shot at this with pencil tool later on. right now though, I gotta get some sleep )
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

-- Henry David Thoreau

Gallery
    View images
    Like looking through a steamy shower door.

Conversely, technique-wise, it seems like you have it covered.

It's after 9 here, so what can I say. I cheated on my Rorschach tests.

Gallery
    View images
    Ok, here are my examples. You'll have to forgive me, I used the color picker rather than lifting the colors directly from your desired background pic, so they may be a bit off, but hopefully it helps anyway. Also, I turned the canvas so that it would appear vertically as your reference does, while I was painting, but it seems that it turned horizontally again when I saved it? can't find a way to fix it.. I feel like a bad example now ops: so turn your head to the side while you're looking at it? :lol:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacground2_272.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	12209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	background15_158.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	12210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	background1_165.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	12211  
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

-- Henry David Thoreau

Gallery
    View images
    make the backgroung with the airbrush at 100%of perssure then smooth it with the same colors you took but with a very light pressure........thats's what i would do but tou may not want to use it......that depends of what style you want to do, i don't know! :lol: then ive smooth it with the brush tool with no paint and 90% thiner(diluant in french) heres's mine but it's the first time i try personally i think yours is better but im just giving you my ideas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back_ground_148.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	12892