ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Pen Boldness

Gallery
    View images

Pen Boldness

Hey there,

I've recently switched to ArtRage to do all my website illustrations, but I'm having trouble adjusting to the marker tool. Back when I used a real pen, it had a nice level of ink boldness to it; the lines weren't too light, but they weren't completely black either. Is there any way I can duplicate this in ArtRage?

Selecting the default marker tool with a black colour results in light grey lines. While the pen has a very realistic overlapping effect, it's too light for outlining.

Clicking the "Art pen" button, on the other hand, makes the ink appear far too dark---a true computer black that doesn't mimic my real pen.

I want something in between. Is this adjustable?

Gallery
    View images

Re: Pen Boldness

Are you using a mouse or a graphics tablet to draw with?

Gallery
    View images
    I'm using a graphics tablet. (And to see if I can guess the follow-up question: no, adjusting the pen pressure doesn't get the effect I'm after. ;-) )

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by calmanny
    I'm using a graphics tablet. (And to see if I can guess the follow-up question: no, adjusting the pen pressure doesn't get the effect I'm after. ;-) )
    No, the follow up questions were:

1) What brand and model of tablet.

2) Does the pen pressure work in other graphics programs?

The only way people can help you is to give as many details as possible about your computer setup. Others tend to loose interest in helping when it becomes like pulling teeth to get any details from you. :wink:

Gallery
    View images
    Fair enough. I'm always happy to accept help, after all. :-)

I'm using a nifty, new Wacom Bamboo Fun and the pressure does, indeed, work well in other applications. (In fact, I'd say it's working quite nicely in ArtRage as well, since the line thickness of the marker and other tools respond as expected with increased pressure.)

My problem is that I'm trying to reproduce my real-life (tm) art pen as closely as possible, and it lies somewhere between ArtRage's marker with the "Art Pen" feature on, and the ArtRage marker with the "Art Pen" feature off.

In case it's something odd about my setup, I've attached a screenshot of the two marker settings in my installation of ArtRage. Both of my example lines are made with the colour set to complete black (RGB of 0,0,0).

The line of the left is with "Art Pen" set to off. It turns out quite light regardless of the pressure applied. (I used the dropper tool and the acrylic brush to make a blob under the line to demonstrate the lightness a little better.)

The line on the right is with the "Art Pen" set to on. This is much darker---too dark, in fact.

Perhaps I'm being overly nitpicky, but my ideal pen opacity would be somewhere between the two. Since I'm using this for real illustration work, I'm trying to keep my real media illustrations and the new digital ones as close to each other as possible so the transition isn't too jarring for my audience. (Well, that, and I have my own preference, too. :-) )

Is there no setting that I can adjust to get a slightly more opaque marker without the complete blackness of the "Art Pen" mode?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Calmanny,

If you're using the felt pen with art pen mode, I imagine that you currently have it set so that your colour picker main area is set to grey ( lower right corner area ) and that the vertical luminance slider to the right is set to black ( lowest setting ). At this point, your pen will be very black as you've noticed.

If you want to make the pen a little lighter, you could move the luminance slider up a little in the right hand bar until the grey/black is about right for what you want.

The marker is basically a felt pen tool, so by default the black has a bit of translucency to it. When the art pen option is enabled it more closely follows the value you've selected, but if this is too dark, setting the luminance up a bit should enable you to get a bold look without it being quite so black. However it won't have the same translucent qualities of the standard setting.

Hope that's of some help!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    So there's no setting to adjust the translucency? I was afraid of that.

I'll try adjusting the colour of the Art Pen. I've had a little luck with an ever-so-slightly-brown colour, so I'll keep experimenting. Thanks for the help!

Gallery
    View images
    If you're not after blending the pen with the things that will be visible underneath it you could always add the pen lines to a layer above the thing you're outlining and make that layer slightly transparent so that it shows through slightly. That may help.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    A creative suggestion, I'll give it a shot! I'm really after the overlapping transparency effects, though.