ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Request for Advanced area selection tool (lasso tool)

Request for Advanced area selection tool (lasso tool)

Hi there

The reason I'd like to have an advanced selection tool ( similar to lasso tool, magnetic lasso tool in photoshop) is so that an artist can select and paint within a specific area, even if it's small, and use any size brush.

The selction then can also be saved as a "mask" or "stencil".

If I'm working on a piece of artwork, there might be many parts of the artwork I'd like to "mask" off so that I can use any size brush or the airbrush , then paint the area , and get a nice clean edge finish.

I'm not sure if this is possible with Artrage, but I'm hoping so.

Thanks
    Cosmicfxx

Hi , Sorry me again ... ops:

I also wanted to suggest a "magic wand" selection tool ( which can also be found in Photoshop) , which selects areas based on tone (I think), so one can easily select an area of artwork, like the area within a black "inked line" , so one can fill the area with "paint" with a brush , airbrush, etc.

The only reason I'm mentioning Photoshop, is to be able to explain about the type of tool I'm requesting for those whom might not be familiar with a "lasso" or "magic wand" tool.

Thanks again
    Cosmicfxx

Hi Sweedie

Thanks for your reply.
    But I know about the stencils ( and they're gr8 tools), but I don't find they work the way I need them to for this specific kind of selection.
    I don't know if you are familiar with the "lasso tool" or the "magic wand tool", but they allow you to quickly mask off an area, and then you have an option to save the selected area if you want, which could then be saved as a "stensil.

I'm going to try and insert a snapshot to show...

The artwork is a close up of line-art where many separate areas need to be selected individually.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cosmicfxx

Hi and thanks again Sweedie

If one uses the Felt pen, as I've tried it, the stencil only then masks the line ,not the area within the line.

Yor approach really does help though ... so basically you just paints in the area that needs masking?
    I guess the only difference wouuld be is the amount of time it takes, and time is a factor when I'm doing commissioned work.
    And the real difference in time would be when comparing it to the "magic wand tool", as with this tool the area within the lines would be selected just by a "click".

Again , appreciate your help, and I'll use that method in the meantime.
    Thanks.
    Cosmicfxx

Hello

I just like to had my HUGE PLEA for such a tool, especially a magic wand as it's an amazing tool for any graphics program.

It would make life aaaallllooottt easier.
    :wink: