ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablets

Gallery
    View images

Tablets

Hello!

First post for me but I've spent a couple of months browsing through the galleries and I'm in awe of the talent here. I've had Art Rage for a while now and really enjoy use it, especially not having to drag out a tonne of supplies to get my creative fix, being short on time and space it's a huge plus.

So far I have stuck to using my mouse, I got a cheap tablet but gave up in frustration because every time I lifted the pen I would lose my reference point on screen and then have no idea where the tool was going to land, which meant I spent most of my efforts using the eraser tool. I love using the mouse because I have a constant reference and nothing happens until I click a button. Anyway I'm finding the mouse a bit limiting and trying to decide whether to get myself a decent tablet (looking at the Wacom Intuos3) and was wondering if the disappearing pointer is a feature of all tablets? Or does this depend more on the pen? I'm a total novice in this area and would really appreciate any advice.

By the way, thank you Bumble for your amazing sky tutorial. I can finally make clouds that look real! I've been having a blast playing with this method, just mixing up messes of colours!

Gallery
    View images
    Welcome sindri

Well you had a really cheap tablet...lose the reference point should not happen! On a wacom you can lift the pen from the tablet and move the pen around and you see that on your screen. only when you touch the tablet is like a klick (but far more intuitive)! I think the most tablet work like this....even some cheaper ones!

Hope you get what you want....good luck and be creative :wink:

Greez maror
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Gallery
    View images
    No matter how amazing your tablet is, it's going to take some adjustment. I initially found it quite disorienting to be drawing on a surface while looking elsewhere (my screen), but now I use my tablet full-time (chucked out the mouse over a year ago after using both a mouse and tablet for nearly 10 years). Be sure to give yourself enough time to get really comfortable with it before deciding that the experience is just too weird. I can say with almost complete certainty that you'll soon find using a tablet quite natural.

I'd also encourage you to stick with Wacom, whether it's their higher-end Intuos line; an older Graphire; or the new, entry-level Bamboo.

Gallery
    View images
    I bought my tablet about 2 months ago (small 4x5 Wacom, just to try one out for once). The only trouble I had when I started was the feeling of drawing on a slick surface as opposed to actual paper. But now I couldn't imagine using anything else when it comes to drawing on my computer.

Seems strange that the cursor would just disappear on you when you lifted the pen off the surface.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Yep, that smooth surface is a pretty common complaint. The most common "solution" of which I've heard is to just slap a piece of paper on top of the thing. Nothing like using actual paper to get the feel of, uh, y'know, paper. =)

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Sindri, and welcome to the forums!

One thought: If you're lifting the pen far away from the tablet's surface, any tablet will leave the cursor where it last "saw it" until the pen is back in range and it can sense it again.

For example, with my Wacom here, I can lift the pen about 1/2 to 2/3 of an inch from the surface at most before the tablet doesn't know where the pen is because it's out of range of its sensors.

It could be that your tablet is set to mouse mode in the software, in which case the other mode would be better ( should be accessible in the tablet software ). If you're using mouse mode, then if you pick the stylus up, move it and put it down, the cursor will stay in the same place. Otherwise, I'd imagine most likely that the first idea is what's causing it.

Hope that's of some help!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by justG
    Yep, that smooth surface is a pretty common complaint.
    Just wondered if anyone here is using the 6D pen, I know that AR doesn't fully support it, but I know it's got brush type nib that changes the surface feel of using a tablet.

Curious for any feedback... (on 6D users and if the AR team plan to fully support the pen in the future)
    AR 2.5 Full Ed, Wacom Graphire Bluetooth A5 (Buggy!), MacBook Pro 15"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the delay in getting back, life got busy!

The tablet I was testing with really was a cheapy, $60 AU from Aldi. The pen literally had to be in contact with the surface before it would show up. I tried changing various setting with little luck, again I think that was because it was so cheap.

I've order a Wacom Intuos 3 as a christmas present for myself (turned out dearer than I thought as it cost me an Ipod for hubby too :lol: ), just waiting for it to turn up. How's this for frustration, the spare pen nibs were in stock so I've had them staring at me for a week!

Gallery
    View images
    Lucky thing! You've made a fantastic choice. =) With all the other holiday shopping, I can't gift myself an Intuos 3, but I'm considering the Bamboo to replace my first-generation Graphire. No tilt, fewer pressure levels, but an upgrade to what I've currently got, at least. Besides, I just *know* they're waiting until I buy the Intuos 3 to introduce the Intuos 4. =]

Gallery
    View images
    I use a tablet PC so I paint on the screen where I touch it with the pen. It is very intuitive,