ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Overpainting

Gallery
    View images

Overpainting

I've heard this word being used before. Can someone tell me what is overpainting and how is it done?
    oops..erhmm have been too busy to paint... look me up on facebook "erwin soo" or "erwinsoo"

Gallery
    View images
    Sometimes artist's will do a value study on the canvas with thin washes to determine dark and light contrast before painting. This is called an underpainting. It could also be in color used to determine color placements and harmonies. Mostly used in oil and acrylic painting. It is sometimes done in pastels also. Anything on top of the underpainting would be classified as
    the overpainting.

The term overpainting is also used for the technique of applying varnishes and glazes and glosses in the final coats. Using a color on the opposite of the color wheel would be called glazing.

Sometimes overpainting is used in terms of a picture that exists beneath the artists final work. Like finding other paintings with x-ray examination that existed originally and were overpainted over by the artist or another artist on the same canvas.

In digital I guess it would be a value or color study layer that is overpainted with final more refined layers. I am not sure if glazing works in digital painting, but it seems to add more color richness by adding thin layers of digital paint also. Someone out there probably knows more about that than I do.

Gallery
    View images
    Split the painting process in two. First do the values then add the color. Don't know how easy it is IRL, but with ArtRage and layers it seems possible. I am still studying this method.

So far, my Underpaint experiment result tutorial is available here:
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=8689

Also do have a look at Fashmirs great glazing tutorial:
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=3085

DoodLS

Gallery
    View images
    I´ve also read about "overpainting" in art forums as a term being used when a more experienced artist paints over another (less experienced) artist´s work in order to correct some proportions and stuff like that. Usually they use a contrasty colour like a bright red.

Marco

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks guys!
    oops..erhmm have been too busy to paint... look me up on facebook "erwin soo" or "erwinsoo"