ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: What is this?

Gallery
    View images

What is this?

My friend observed me using Artrage and asked what I was doing.. I told him I was painting.. He felt like that was an insult to a "real" painter.. Maybe so.. What do you all call this thing we are doing, if you are asked??
    Click Upper Right To Visit My Gallery

Gallery
    View images
    It is called "that thing that threatens fossils everywhere. . ." They're like cars that can only turn left.

People just LOVE to feel superior. They're posturing in a way that states that their form of kung fu is the best in the world.

Hahaha.

Gallery
    View images
    Tell them that when they go to reproduce their artwork and make prints that their artwork will be photographed, scanned digitally and converted to a digital image before it is printed. You are skipping some steps and going right to the final digital stage.

Gallery
    View images
    ... not to mention all the Canvas plants we're saving.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertSWade
    ... not to mention all the Canvas plants we're saving.
    And all the chemicals that we're not going to get sick from or spew into the atmosphere using petroleum based oil paints, thinners,etc, etc,.

Just turn their smugness around on them.

Gallery
    View images
    i says its art making...my media in this case is digital.

Just as a traditional artist of old might have chosen beteen oils or pastels or watercolour or pencil i have the option of all these but also have the option of a computer and tablet to make my art. which i choose to use sometimes just as i might choose to pick up a brush...after all it is we who make the art not the compter..it dosent seem to paint at all without me :wink:

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Gallery
    View images
    I often reply: "digital is less distant from oil (acrylic) than oil is from watercolor or fresco".
    Which, incidentally, is true (in my opinion at least). But mainly, your friend will become silent and meditative, and won't bother you anymore...

Gallery
    View images
    Any form of expression is ART whether it's wiping toilet funk onto a wall :lol: or using the latest and greatest software. Who cares what you use and besides does anyone ever price the oil tubes at there local craft store. You better have a spare studio room somewhere and a deep wallet because it's gonna be a smelly mess and a hole in your wallet.

Gallery
    View images

creativity is neither traditional nor digital...............

creativity is neither traditional nor digital
    ...the splendour of colours on real canvas is really worth to consider...

Gallery
    View images

Re: creativity is neither traditional nor digital...........

Quote Originally Posted by kiran
    creativity is neither traditional nor digital
    ...the splendour of colours on real canvas is really worth to consider...
    Truly. You are quite right. Normal art materials can be beautiful when handled well.

But many of us prefer to extend our work into the modern world, where most of the rest of it has gone digital. . . as gzairborne has commented.

With digital there is an amazing range of things that can be done. From graphics to animation to fine art.

And there are books out about how toxic artists' materials are. And that's a decent enough reason to not use them too much.

I remember there was a time when people got very upset by long hair on guys because it was a sign that their rules were being challenged.

With the same consciousness, sneering at art done on a computer is a rallying point for people who need one. And traditional artists probably need one badly at this point in the technical evolution.

Little more. It's just another iteration of the shock of the new.