ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 300dpi very slow

300dpi very slow

Hi there

I have posted in connection with this before, but I don't feel that I have been given any good solutions.

At 300 dpi I find a lot of "drag" when using big brushes and especially the airbrush.
    I understand and have read that Artrage uses ALOT of memory. And I have 2gig of ram memory.

I'd just like to ask Artrage if they are going to have a "scratchdisc" (which improves performance by adding virtual memory by slecting a users specific harddisc or partition) , which is used by Photoshop and Corelpainter for graphic performance.

If not, is there any reason for not wanting to?
    :?:
    Thanks very much.
    Cosmicfxx

No response from Artrage.

Disappointing!
    Cosmicfxx

We dont curently have the ability to change the scratch disc. It just defaults to the windows (or mac) TEMP directory.
    Changing scratch disc is something we're looking at for future versions of ArtRage.

If you've been painting for a while and ArtRage starts to slow down after each stroke, save your painting, then reload it. ArtRage will reset its 'undo' history and free up disc space.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Thanks Andy
    Cosmicfxx

I forgot to mention...
    You can switch off the rendered lighting using the <f5> key. This can speed up painting, particularly with the airbrush tool.

Note that comparing ArtRage's speed to other programs isn't very useful. ArtRage has to do a lot more work than most other painting applications. As well as colour, we have to deal with the depth of paint on the canvas, as well as the shininess and reflectivity. Then we have to apply a 3D rendered lighting model over the result. It's much more than most other painting applications.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Hi

Understood, Artrage works different to other programs, but only meant to compare that they like Corel Painter use a scratch-disc which tremendously improves performance.

But as memory performance is an issue when working large, hopefully you guys will find a solution, which I'm sure you's will.

Sorry if I sounded unfair ( didn't mean it that way, just looking and hoping for solutions to performance problems to the way I need to work, large artworks and fast strokes )

All due respect given to a great piece of software.
    Cosmicfxx

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Note that comparing ArtRage's speed to other programs isn't very useful. ArtRage has to do a lot more work than most other painting applications. As well as colour, we have to deal with the depth of paint on the canvas, as well as the shininess and reflectivity. Then we have to apply a 3D rendered lighting model over the result. It's much more than most other painting applications.
    It has more to do than Corel Painter IX or X? :shock:

That seems VERY hard to believe. ArtRage2 has more to do than say ms word, but Painter with it's natural media brushes, especially the Impasto brushes at a large size. Now that's slow!

It may have more to do with the using ArtRage2 on a slower cpu.